Author
Topic: Near Complete 1973 $1 prefix set. 426 out of a possible 428 notes  (Read 2361 times)
q60driver

This set includes every common 2 letter prefix, every common 3 letter prefix (Lawson/Bouey and Crow/Bouey signatures), every changeover note, every asterisk replacement, every X replacement, every test note, and every steel and lithograph variety. The two notes I'm missing are *FB and *MD asterisk replacements. The red book is all asterisk replacements, the middle book is all 2 letter prefixes, and the last book is all 3 letter prefixes.

About 80% of this set is various grades of UNC. 19% are AU and 1% are EF (I keep my eye out to upgrade the several EF's).

Someday I hope to complete this set, if I'm able. Collecting is so satisfying!

Please enjoy!

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 09:52:40 am »

That is quite an accomplishment. Congratulations!

About 80% of this set is various grades of UNC. 19% are AU and 1% are EF (I keep my eye out to upgrade the several EF's).

Wow! Even more incredible.  I once saw a prefix collector who was in pursuit of the 1954 Modified ONES but he didn't care about the condition. I can't remember the # of prefixes but it was pretty high (like the 1973's)

Just curious, when did you start this quest?

q60driver
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 01:19:00 am »

That is quite an accomplishment. Congratulations!

Wow! Even more incredible.  I once saw a prefix collector who was in pursuit of the 1954 Modified ONES but he didn't care about the condition. I can't remember the # of prefixes but it was pretty high (like the 1973's)

Just curious, when did you start this quest?

Thanks!

This set started about 5 or 6 years ago when I bought a stack of about 800 mixed prefix high grade notes from an eBay seller. It worked out to be $2.55 per note and the seller obviously didn't search it very well. I realized there were so many different prefixes so I decided to start this collection.

About 70% of this set came from that purchase along with a few radars and a mismatched serial number. I sold the error and radars to help fund the rest of the set. Common prefixes were pretty easy to find but the steel and lithograph varieties took a bit. Other rarities like test notes were more of a cost problem as they're available but at a higher price. The last thing I filled was the asterisk replacements. Most of them are fairly affordable other then the *AA above 5 million, *AB, *FH, and *OL, which put a hole in my savings lol

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 10:04:15 am »

This set started about 5 or 6 years ago when I bought a stack of about 800 mixed prefix high grade notes from an eBay seller.
-That's even more remarkable. The guy who was collecting the 1954 prefixes had been doing it for a couple decades. That was incredibly fortunate that you came across that stack of mixed prefixes. Amazing.

q60driver
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 04:41:48 am »

-That's even more remarkable. The guy who was collecting the 1954 prefixes had been doing it for a couple decades. That was incredibly fortunate that you came across that stack of mixed prefixes. Amazing.

Yeah, I don't think I would have even thought to start this set had I not made that purchase.

Login with username, password and session length