Author
Topic: King Charles nickels  (Read 1637 times)
Breanna72
« on: March 05, 2024, 02:19:59 pm »

Today when I visited a few branches and asked for Charles coin rolls two told me that they had been issued a few but they are gone, so I went to this tiny little branch where I am consistently lucky at obtaining new issues and BINGO they sold me 20 rolls of nickels.  Only problem is about 4 of the rolls do not have the coin backs on either end, therefore they need to be broken in order to 'prove' they are Charles issues unless they were the only new issues in 2023?

Also, wondering what will happen with King Charles coins and notes already produced IF Charles dies before they are issued???

Redlock
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 02:14:15 am »

Also, wondering what will happen with King Charles coins and notes already produced IF Charles dies before they are issued???

They will still be issued because it's the ''sustainable'' way to do...

Remember, KCIII said in the UK that the Bank of England shall still issue the already printed banknotes featuring his mother and not destroy them.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 10:03:09 am »

I got my first nickel in change yesterday!  :D

AJG
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 01:34:39 pm »

I think the coins with King Charles on them were starting to appear in Canada late last year, and I never saw any in Newfoundland to this day.  I gave up doing in-person teller service since July 2012 due to my full-time job and lack of faith for new prefixes seven months into 2022.

I am thinking the banks in my hometown only ordered a coin supply for several months only a few times per year, and maybe nowadays they only do one big order once a year - typically in April, or the week prior to Easter - usually after the snowy weather is over and the ferries can go through more frequently.  If they only order one big supply of money for the year ahead, it's probably due to much higher shipping costs especially since they may have to be sent in via the Marine Atlantic ferry (and Marine Atlantic rates are insanely high now, and rates tend to rise every April 1 - how much further can they go?), and travel over 800 kilometres from Port aux Basques to many of the major municipalities.
Breanna72
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 03:14:13 pm »

AJG .... Want me to send you a roll of KCIII nickels at face+shipping?  Since I have 20 I can spare one for the deprived East Coast!  PM me.
Cheers, Breanna
JB-2007
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 04:16:14 pm »

I guess it depends where you live of course in major cities better the chances are at finding them. These coins are widely available here in montreal. All denominations.
Breanna72
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 10:01:19 am »

I guess it depends where you live of course in major cities better the chances are at finding them. These coins are widely available here in montreal. All denominations.

It's also about being in the right place at the right time.  The branches that did tell me they got some said they only got one box, and they were gone within a day or two.  It's easier to hop from branch to branch in a city than it is some rural locals that may have only one or two branches, and I cringe for those that need to drive for an hour to reach the only branch within a large region, do banking.
AJG
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2024, 11:56:56 am »

I have a feeling that banks in Atlantic Canada may have had the King Charles III coins, but they got a limited supply and they went like hot cakes.  Same may have occurred with the Viola Desmond $10 notes when they were first released a few years ago.

It seems like whenever a new face appears on our currency, people want them and many refuse to spend them (they'd likely hoard them) until the coins or banknotes with the former face are significantly gone.  I still see some MacDonald $10 notes to this day, but I have been seeing an increase in Desmond $10s in St. John's since last summer.  Since August, every time I withdrew $10 notes from Scotiabank ATMs I normally go to, I got MacDonald $10s only one time, and after that it was all Desmonds to this day (including recycled ones with different prefixes).  I suspect people will likely do the same when the new $5 note gets issued - if Laurier's portrait gets replaced by a new portrait.

Also, if memory serves correctly, I don't think I remember coming across any newly-minted coins in Newfoundland in recent years (the pandemic likely had nothing to do with it) except for commemorative issues of quarters and toonies - all of which had the Queen on it.  Maybe banks in Newfoundland suspended ordering newly-minted coins (except for commemorative versions) due to having enough in circulation to last a while, perhaps?

Regarding the commemorative coins, I remember getting one of those black toonies in change from a supermarket, and I felt suspicious about it and turned it down in favor of a(n) (almost-)normal toonie as a result - without realizing it was real, and a special edition toonie released in honour of the departed Queen Elizabeth II.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 12:07:35 pm by AJG »

Login with username, password and session length