Author
Topic: Today's Finds - Bitter-Sweet, and Smelly  (Read 1336 times)
Breanna72
« on: March 16, 2024, 05:46:49 pm »

I went to my regular branch on Friday afternoon and was able to intercept the mutilated notes before they got sent out.  Unfortunately, the psycho bank manager again hand-crushed what would otherwise have been UNC notes.  This has been happening for a long time and I always knew there would come a day when he 'crushed' something really valuable and that day has come.  See photo of $50 T-C EHX (below 1.7m) issue 800K.  I am a deeply "disappointed" customer.  :'(

I got the EHX and an EHT both UNC and crushed, and a couple of multi colour $50s EHH and EHM, both EF and crushed.  An EF $2 CBB repeater, a nice UNC ATV $10, an AU $20, and a couple of $5s HOK pre-security) and HPL.

After I picked up the notes I met some friends at a restaurant and the entire time, the obnoxious odour of Patchouli was 'wafting' from my purse to the point that people were mentioning it.  When I got home, I removed all the notes from my purse and within minutes the entire room was overwhelmed with unbelievably strong Patchouli to the point I was coughing and had to put the notes, my purse, and my note carrier, all in plastic bags and seal them up.

In my opinion, if these notes had this incredibly strong smell on them while they sat in drawers, or a safe at the bank, anyone near-by would have been over-whelmed/affected by it, and given the fact that this branch has a 'resident psycho manager' who can't 'crush' ALL the notes, and likely thinks making them smelly is an alternate way of making them undesirable for collecting, it is my opinion this 'scent' got onto the notes while they were in the bank, shortly before they were given to me. 

Can ANY bank note hunters please chime in -- have you EVER gotten a single, or multiple notes from a bank that had an over-whelming smell on them? 

Thank you in advance,
Breanna

« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 05:51:35 pm by Breanna72 »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 09:44:11 am »

Can ANY bank note hunters please chime in -- have you EVER gotten a single, or multiple notes from a bank that had an over-whelming smell on them?
I cannot recall that actually happening for me (like your situation) but I can say that the more circulated the bundle, the more unpleasant (& smelly), so probably.  The smell factor has really improved since polymer.  However, even polymer circulated enough will smell unpleasant.

Perhaps the odour of circulated cash is another reason a lot of collectors seek notes that are UNC (for collecting purposes)?

Login with username, password and session length