Author
Topic: Odd find  (Read 3968 times)
Sixer
« on: April 29, 2005, 04:51:04 am »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and I have to admit that I'm not a serious collector of notes.  However, a friend of mine recently got $100 from the Credit Union.  They were handed five $20 notes, with serial numbers in sequence - obviously uncirculated.

One of the notes has some marks on the Queen's eyes.  Perhaps someone in here can tell me what would cause this and if it would have much more than face value?

Here's the scan of the note.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 04:52:45 am by Sixer »
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 01:05:35 pm »

I am no expert but to me it looks like what is called an ink smear error, I think this is caused when the printing plates are not wiped properly between each sheet of notes being printed leaving some exess ink for the next sheet.

I'm not sure of a value but I would guess $100-$140 ?

Hopfully Tom who specializes in errors could comment on your note.

Gary_T
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 02:27:21 am »

We could tell more easily if it's an authentic error if you can post an high resolution scan of the "error" part of the note.  

But if it's an error, it's an interesting note because the smears give the Queen a funny and somewhat  "devilish" look... :D

Sixer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 06:41:25 pm »

When I get a moment I'll scan the error part in high resolution and post it as suggested.

Strange how it was over both eyes though...almost looks like it was deliberately put there.  I agree it gives the Queen a devilish look - too bad it wasn't in conjuction with the "devil's face" bill!

Thanks for your help!
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 09:57:42 pm »

A new series of Devil's Face notes!!!  Yea  ;D

Login with username, password and session length