Author
Topic: New Journey $100 to be unveiled Jan. 28th  (Read 8114 times)
jonathan
« on: January 15, 2004, 04:10:27 pm »

Hello, it's me.

Finally!  After problems with phony $100 notes over the past year, we are FINALLY going to see the new Journey $100 note very soon!

I went into the Bank of Canada online and learned that the new $100 note will be unveiled on Wednesday, January 28th. in Halifax.  It will be unveiled by the Honourable John Efford, Minister of Natural Resources, and David Dodge, Governor of the Bank of Canada.

Distinguished guests will include Marc Garneau, the Canadian astronaut and veteran of 3 space flights who is president of Canadian Space Agency.

The new Journey $100 note will incorporate new security and anti-counterfeiting features as well as historic and satellite maps of Canada, which depict the theme "Exploration and Innovation".

The first day of issue of the new $100 note will be Wednesday, March 17th, 2004.

The unveiling of the new Journey $100 note begins at 11:00 a.m. (AST) in Halifax.  A technical briefing for the media, in both English and French, on the security of the new high-tech security features on the bill will follow the ceremony.  Regional media briefings will be in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver at 10:00 a.m. (EST).

I cannot wait to get my hands on one of those new $100's!  It is very exciting!

Later, Jonathan
eastguy
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 04:30:25 pm »

It's nice to see Nova Scotia will be the location for unveiling of the new $100.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if the issue date (March 17th) has any "hidden" meaning. Does St. Patrick have a significant influence? Hmmmmmm

eastguy ;)

EGUY
Jason
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 07:42:01 pm »

I am setting aside $100 in anticipation of the new note.  Given the very low confidence in the current $100-note, I am hoping that the new note will have enough anti-counterfeiting agents in place to help restore public confidence in the $100-note in particular, and in Canadian currency in general.

March 17th?  I'll be ready.  
jonathan
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 04:47:06 pm »

By the way, will the new Journey $100 note be distributed to almost every bank throughout  Canada simultaneously on or before the first day of issue?  I hope so, because the new $5 and $10 notes were released out here in St.John's, NL on the official first days of issue.

Jonathan
Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 05:30:40 pm »

My guess is that it will be available across Canada on the 17th.  But banks will open sooner in the atlantic time zone. So you and eastguy will be among the first here to get the new $100.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 05:32:13 pm by detonate »

eastguy
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 10:49:57 pm »

Actually, jonathan is a full half hour ahead........ :-/

;)eastguy

EGUY
jonathan
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 08:47:51 pm »

You're probably right.  Myself and all of us "Newfies" will probably see the first of the new $100 notes before all of you mainlanders.

I will be watching the national newscast one week from today to witness the unveiling.

Later, Jonathan
jonathan
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 07:33:24 pm »

The new Journey $100 note is being unveiled tomorrow.  I'll be watching CBC news tomorrow so that I could get a "sneak preview" of what the new $100 note will look like.  It will be pretty cool!

8) 8) 8)

Later, Jonathan ;)
jonathan
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 07:37:58 pm »

Oh, and by the way...

...there are only 50 days until the new $100 is officially released...   49... 48... 47....  and still counting...

It will be here faster than you can say "Digby chicken."  Not that I saw the Canadian version of "Millonaire" way back when.

Later, Jonathan
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 07:39:11 pm by jonathan »
Jason
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004, 07:51:10 pm »

At what time will the unveiling be broadcast?  I will likely be at work (weather permitting), so I should like to videotape it if I can.  Or will it just be shown with the evening news?
jonathan
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2004, 07:59:50 pm »

Your best bet is to catch the unveiling on the local CBC Evening news after you get off work.  It may probably be on CBC Newsworld throughout the day, but I am not 100% certain that the unveiling will be broadcast on television, but I am almost confident that when the new $5 note was unveiled on March 27, 2002,  it was televised on CBC Newsworld and on CBC Evening News later that same day.  Again, I might assume that the unveiling should be televised on the CBC News or CBC Newsworld.

Later, Jonathan
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 10:50:15 pm »

And of this topic,

For those of you out there that might have access to said notes, I would really appreciate a good scan of the front and back ASAP. I've had a number of requests for mugs (to go along with the $5 and $10 Journey mugs I guess).

I promise not to release the scan or the mugs until March 17th thought.
Jason
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2004, 11:03:09 pm »

I can't believe all the excitement over a new banknote--but I think it's great!  I am glad to know that I am NOT the only one!  This is what separates us from our neighbours to the south.  After several decades of the same designs over and over again, they made the so-called "big change" in the 1990s with the big head notes--which to me are just variations of the previous notes.  And this past year saw the introduction of (ooooh!) colour to their notes.  Granted, I haven't SEEN the new $20 in person yet, but based on the pictures I have seen and on reports I have heard from people who have seen them, the addition of colour to those notes is largely unremarkable.

HERE, in Canada, we have a totally new set of designs when we change the notes.  Granted, I am only old enough to recall the change to the Bird Series in the 1980s--right around the time I started collecting--and I remembered how excited I was to see the new series, and scrabling to collect samples from the outgoing series.

And so it began again in 2001, with "the new $10".  The first one I saw was from a student in my grade 4 class, and upon seeing that note, I got that feeling of excitement all over again and left school that evening in a ruthless pursuit of my OWN new $10.  In the spring of 2002, I used my lunch period just to go to the bank to get a set of eight new $5s in sequence.

An American friend of mine--who is also a collector of coins and banknotes--MAY be coming to stay with me over the March Break.  For us, one planned activity is to get a pair of $100s in sequence--one for him and one for me!

It will be an exciting day.

Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2004, 01:05:11 pm »

« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 01:12:40 pm by detonate »

Login with username, password and session length