Topic: coin shows  (Read 7935 times)
smith
« on: July 31, 2005, 09:15:17 pm »

are Numismatic coin shows a good place to sell paper money???  thanks
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 09:32:18 pm »

They are a great place to SPEND money!!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 09:32:35 pm by eyevet »

Travsy
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 10:55:50 pm »

If you know what you have and have firsthand knowledge of what notes similar to yours are bringing and a realistic price for your notes predetermined , yes they can be one of the best places to sell. Oft times dealers can and will pay more than collectors as they have a client that needs a specific note etc.
If you lack any of the above or need to sell then a coin show would be akin to an antelope asking a pride of lions for directions to the nearest watering hole.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 11:24:54 pm »

Actually, for common notes, dealers typically snub their noses at them. It's the rare notes that people, dealers and collectors, snap up.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 11:59:58 pm »

I often buy "common" notes, the best place is at a coin show. In fact, I have bought some of them from 2 of the regular contributors to this site.

I don't want the rare notes, except to auction them.
The common notes, like 1937 $1, $2, $5, $10, and 1954 issue same denominations, and 1979 $5, and 1971 $10, I buy them all the time, in large quantities. I often run out of 1989 $10's as well.

So, collectors, bring your odd notes to a coin show. There are dealers who will buy them.

Rick

TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 04:24:18 am »

Based on my experience Brent's perception is the most representative of market reality and the impression that should be left.

There are some dealers however I am sure in the mix that will buy common stuff on the very cheap.

I'll go to a show and try to buy the most uncommon material possible and as much of it as possible, avoiding common notes like the plague. Of course the definition of common as it relates to numismatics isn't necessarily the same for everyone.

Troy.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 11:07:33 am by TheMonetaryMan »
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 11:42:49 am »

The notes that are common have a smaller market value than the rare notes. A collector with rare notes can usually do better to have them auctioned.

Common notes have value, its just finding the dealer that wants them and has a market for them.

Prices paid are often high; this is most likely when they are already sold.

Rick
Travsy
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 12:43:42 pm »

are Numismatic coin shows a good place to sell paper money  thanks

That was the question.

Not what "TheMonetaryMan' buys at a show. As is evidenced by your posts and ebay auctions you're a very important man in the paper money business who deals in only the finest.
I think Simpson and I jointly summed it up accurately. Coin shows are possibly the best place to sell notes if you know what you're doing.
At the CNA in Calgary last week several dealers were frantically running around trying to buy notes from other dealers and no-one was selling below cat on anything even remotely decent. One dealer dumped off 17,000 worth of the more common replacements in AU and mid-grade 37's at 80% to another dealer and you can bet the farm all of those notes will be "bumped' a grade.
Now if smith is looking to sell his 1967 NSN VG 1's then chances are there won't be a line up anywhere to buy em, however I doubt that was the case.
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 12:50:21 pm »

Thanks for the post,

My last post I believe was more helpful than you gave it credit for because some people think my buying and selling activity has relevance to the market, setting trends in Chartered for example, also most recently in some high end 1935 Bank of Canada.

Troy
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 12:56:11 pm by TheMonetaryMan »
Travsy
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 12:55:10 pm »

What you spend doesn't answer the original posters question. Although it's impressive  :D
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 12:57:36 pm »

I guess my thoughts are like this:

If I spend $100,000 and my two closest dealing friends spend $100,000-150,000 between them. That is 1/4 million in buying power per show just between 3 guys and there are other power buyers in attendance almost for sure depending on which show.

If we are buying someone is selling.

Good place to sell? You tell me......

I have always believed I should spend more energy making and attempting to lead the market rather than talking about it.

Saying they are a good place to sell isn't as useful as saying well when I go there I buy a ton and so do my closest peers and we essentially go nuts and routinely pay above book.

Money talks.

Troy
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 01:06:38 pm by TheMonetaryMan »
Travsy
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 01:04:48 pm »

As stated, it didn't answer the question. What you did MonetaryMan, twice, was advertise what you do and how much you spend at a show. I mean there's self-promotion and then there's self-promotion, jeez, lol.
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 01:08:37 pm »

Call it whatever you want, bold it, under-line if you wish, it doesn't really matter to me. I am not feeling particularly insecure as a result.

I was motivated and determined to make my point (for the benefit of the original poster....before you jump all over me again) despite your attempted deflections that my answer obviously has been, and remains, Yes. They are a good place to sell and have provided some insight and evidence as to why, which comes from 1st hand experience as a motivated buyer at the type of venue this person wishes to sell at.

I like to provide evidence and/or proof of claim often when I choose to enter a thread, it is a matter of style or lack thereof, depending on your point of view.

Troy.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 01:42:21 pm by TheMonetaryMan »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 01:57:28 pm »

End of subject. The question has been answered by now. Thank you all for your input.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length