Author
Topic: Scarcity of Journey inserts??  (Read 8820 times)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« on: August 19, 2005, 08:01:45 am »

Has anyone noticed that the availability of journey Inserts in the market is really low?  Ebay for example, they are very few and far between, and only from a small group of sellers.
I know sometimes a person can get lucky and find more than a few in a brick, but in the same breath I have to say that in the last 20 or so brick portions (containing the insert section from CBN), I have found no inserts, only QCIN's.

I was luckier with inserts earlier on in 2005, but now I am thinking they are getting much more hard to find.

Any idea?

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 12:51:16 pm »

I've got a few you can buy. ;D

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 08:01:06 pm »

Its true in a way. From what i understand inserts are printed now in only multiples of 9,000 some of which have only one or 2 runs at most
BWJM, (or of course anyone else) if you have inserts to sell there are some that im looking for but mostly the older inserts from the birds series. So if you have any inserts for sale from the birds series please let me know.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 11:53:27 pm »

You see what I mean though, a few people have a good amount, and other than that, there is not much at all.  Even one of the ebay sellers I know, (Who goes through tons of notes) hardly gets any inserts.  
I have found only 6 FEV's, NO BEV's, and only those few FER's in the first week of the new Journey.

I notice they are not around much, but I still feel the demand is out there, especially when many dealers out there are still scooping them up.

For anyone who may be new to the insert note topic, please have a good read through the past postings and topics.  There is such a vast amount of info from the people of this forum, it would amaze you.

Anyway, I know they are hard as heck to find.  And the info that everyone has put on this site in regards to their finding is priceless.
Enough of my rambling....Later,
Hudson :)

JB-2007
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 12:41:52 am »

I think there is a good demand by collectors for inserts. It will only be a matter of time for prices to increase. Just look at some of the prices of the birds, $5 insert notes already some are going for $500+ in UNC. To me these notes are very much like the asterisk notes only without the asterisk. There are many different asterisk prefix and there are many different inserts. But inserts i find them to be even scarcer. You'll find that alot of asterisk notes had 200,000 or 400,000 printed but in inserts it is quite common to see only 20,000 printed of one insert range
I think those who are opting out of collecting inserts will realize soon what they missed out or maybe not. I am an insert collector yet i don't have many, simply because they're hard to find. But my strategy is grab 'em while you can. Whenever i find one i keep it.
Finally the title of this subject should really be "scarcity of inserts in general" you'll find that many of the birds inserts are even scarcer than those of the journey series.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 12:48:48 am by JB105 »
kobecurrency
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 05:16:09 am »

On Aug 19.2005, JB-2005 wrote:
Finally the title of this subject should really be "scarcity of inserts in general" you'll find that many of the birds inserts are even scarcer than those of the journey series.

At the time of the termination of replacement (X) notes, most replacement collectors & brick searchers, which were very few then, stopped the hunt.  Collectors were caught off guard when they saw the Bird inserts.  The different of ranges found in Bird's bricks did'nt make any sense then. Inserts were not identified until after the fact & hence the scarcity as very few were saved.

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 04:45:37 pm »

In response to Cdn_Guy's link, that is a perfect example about how the inserts seem heavy in some places, but for most other times, there are non or little.  (Hitting the jackpot if you will).  

And even though more people know about inserts, the average Joe wouldnt pull one out of their change saying "Hey- this looks different", because there is no distinguishing marks, such as the asterisk, or an "X".  So for any amount of inserts that would have been saved by being found like that, we can basicaly subtract that from the available supply.

Basically the only way they will ever be found in UNC is when brick hunters get them first.  And we all know there are not that many of us.  
I feel insert notes, in UNC anyway, will carry an increasing premium.

freedomschoice
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 11:35:46 pm »

I hate to rain on everybody's parade, but I have a feeling that insert notes are going to soon be a thing of the past. As a brick note collector myself, I have seen over the last few months a disurbing trend of mixed ranges coming in complete bricks. These ranges can be anywhere from my experience of five to nineteen. In some of the more abundant ranges, have found missing numbers that should have been replaced and were not. This mixed up bricks of late is disguising the inserts, or to my dismay, I feel they are no longer being used period. They are just using the ten million notes faster and then moving on to the next prefix. This would account also for barren bricks for radars. Or on  the other hand multiple radars in a bundle. Remember, the Bank of Canada is only concerned about the number of notes in circualtion, not the perfect quality the bank note company's are distributing. I hope my feelings are incorrect, but I have a strong suspicion that this may be becoming a reality sooner than later.

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 07:14:23 pm »

Deep down, I also think that the inserts may bne coming to an end soon.
I hope not, but then it may be good for me, as I can spend less money on buying bricks, and focus on other areas.
I guess then the remaining inserts, well the supply is now capped!

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 12:22:49 am »

[Post removed. --BWJM]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 01:57:37 am by BWJM »

Smile from your heart.  ;D

Login with username, password and session length