Author
Topic: Ink smear?  (Read 4812 times)
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« on: August 20, 2005, 12:51:47 pm »

Here the scan of a 20$ Journey's note (front) having the upper right corner tinted dark green.  The corner has been folded (double fold) and the "smear" seems to have reached over on the back.  The note is in Fine condition.  The look was somewhat suspicious to me so I ask the question:

How can I tell that's a real error instead a kind of "basement job" or something having happened outside the printer?

copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 12:53:23 pm »

And here a scan of the corresponding part of the back:

copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 01:07:18 pm »

I forgot to give the position numbers of the note: FPN=56, BPN=74.  Is this note is found in the upper right corner of a sheet?

I got this note in an ordinary withdrawal from an ATM. There is no other particularity on the note.

Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 01:09:21 pm »

Copperpete, can you either email me a scan of the whole note front and back or post it here? papermoney@sympatico.ca

While we are on ink smears, I found this one the other day.
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 01:21:59 pm »

I beleive that the last process in printing the back of the notes is the laquer that is applied in the upper left corner. The jagged line of the ink smear would indicate that the smear happened after the laquer application.

We will have to wait for Tom's expert onion.

The jagged line is similar to that on a note I have.

http://gwfedora.tripod.com/flake9.jpg

« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 01:37:01 pm by sudzee »
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 04:15:36 pm »

Tom has requested me to send him a complete scan of both front and back of the notes, so that's I did.  I'm waiting after his comments.

I can add that the lacquer on the back is complete and the jagged line of the smear is exactly on the border of the lacquer (which is itself jagged).  A bit of the color on the back has leaked out through the paper and is visible on the front as a bluewish tint just over the big counter "20" (you can see in on the first scan).  

I have one more question. Is the lacquer layer on the back applied before or after the intaglio print of the front?

sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 06:57:05 pm »

I beleive the raised ink would be the final pass before the sheet goes for numbering.

Just found this link. Have a look.

http://www.bot.or.th/bothomepage/BankAtWork/Banknotes/printing/Process_e/Process_Printing.htm
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 07:03:54 pm by sudzee »

Login with username, password and session length