Author
Topic: Redesigned $10 Note to be Unveiled on September 28  (Read 5176 times)
suretteda
« on: September 09, 2005, 12:48:57 am »

The Department of the Treasury, Federal Reserve and U.S. Secret Service to Preview New $10 Note Design

Latest in Series of Safer, Smarter, More Secure Currency Designed to Stay Ahead of Counterfeiters

Washington, D.C. – September 6, 2005 – The Department of the Treasury, Federal Reserve and U.S. Secret Service are unveiling a new design and updated security features for the $10 note that will enter circulation in early 2006. The $10 note is the third denomination in the new currency series which incorporates enhanced security features, subtle background colors and symbols of freedom into the designs.

Who:
John W. Snow, Secretary, The Department of the Treasury
Anna Escobedo Cabral, Treasurer of the United States
Roger W. Ferguson, Jr., Vice Chairman, Federal Reserve Board
Thomas A. Ferguson, Director, Bureau of Engraving and Printing
W. Ralph Basham, Director, United States Secret Service

When:
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 Press arrivals begin at 8:30 a.m., set-ups must be complete by 9:30 a.m. Please bring a valid press credential, a government-issued photo ID and allow time to clear security at Battery Park.

10:00 – 10:30 a.m. Remarks by principals, unveiling of new $10 note design
10:30 – 11:00 a.m. Agency spokespeople available to media for Q&A

Where:
Ellis Island, New York Harbor

Transport:
Ferries dedicated to this event will depart from New York’s Battery Park Pier #4 at 8:15 a.m., 8:45 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. Ferries will return to Battery Park after the event concludes, leaving Ellis Island at 10:40 a.m., 11:30 a.m., and 12:00 p.m.

RSVP:
All attending press must call 202-530-4887 by 5:00 p.m. EST, Friday, September 23 with name, media organization, Social Security number and phone number.

Interviews:
One-on-one media interviews can be scheduled in advance by calling 202-530-4887.

Materials:
Press kits providing information about the new $10 note will be available beginning at 10:30 a.m. on September 28 in the “Media Center” at www.moneyfactory.gov/newmoney or by calling 202-530-4887. The kit includes information on the new $10 note design and digital images.

B-roll:
B-roll of The New Color of Money, which includes footage of the newly designed $10 note in production and sound bites from government officials will be available by calling 202-530-4887 beginning Wednesday, September 28.

The new $10 notes will be safer, smarter and more secure: safer because they’re harder to fake and easier to check; smarter to stay ahead of tech-savvy counterfeiters; more secure to protect the integrity of U.S. currency. The new currency, with improved security features, makes counterfeiting more difficult and makes it easier for financial institutions, professional cash-handlers and the general public to check their U.S. currency.

Because counterfeiters are turning increasingly to digital methods and as advances in technology make digital counterfeiting easier and cheaper, the government is staying ahead of counterfeiters by updating the currency every 7-10 years.  

The $100 note will be the next denomination to be redesigned after the $10 note. At this time, the government has no plans to redesign the $5 note. The $2 and $1 notes will not be redesigned.

http://www.moneyfactory.com/newmoney/main.cfm/media/releases090605
suretteda
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 02:29:59 pm »

The New Color of Money Safer. Smarter. More Secure.

Newly Designed $10 Note Unveiled on September 28, 2005

The U.S. government unveiled a new, more secure design for the $10 note that will enter circulation in early 2006. Highlighted by images of the Statue of Liberty's torch and the words "We the People" from the U.S. Constitution, the new $10 note incorporates easy-to-use security features for people to check their money and subtle background colors in shades of orange, yellow and red.

New money designs are being issued as part of an ongoing effort to stay ahead of counterfeiting, and to protect the economy and the hard-earned money of U.S. currency users. The new series began with the introduction of the $20 note on October 9, 2003, and continued with the $50 note issued on September 28, 2004.

http://www.moneyfactory.com/newmoney/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 03:12:52 pm by BWJM »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 03:21:56 pm »

This note will be a nice addition to the Series 2004 set and I await the release of the $5 and $100 note over the next couple of years.

For completeness, I am including scans of the $20 and $50.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 11:51:50 pm »

Thanks for posting these scans; American money is actually getting interesting now instead of the former boring ol' green & black.  Of course, being a die-hard Canuck, I will always say that no country can hold a candle to Canada where paper money is concerned!

Now that U.S. money is getting more colourful and somewhat more imaginative, I might expand my collection.  Anyone have an idea if U.S. specimen notes of the present or past series are available to the public, and how much they sell for?? ???

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 04:19:27 am »

I am not aware of any specimen notes as we know them being available for US currency. That doesn't mean there aren't any available, just that I don't know of any.

I do know however that you can get uncut sheets of star notes at semi-reasonable prices.

My interest in US currency has also blossomed in recent months and I am slowly accumulating more notes. I will of course obtain a couple crisp $10s when they come out next year.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length