Author
Topic: Parliament buildings on the new $100  (Read 7283 times)
Jason
« on: January 17, 2004, 03:05:24 am »

Press released have already indicated what will appear on the reverse of the new $100.  Uniformity of the notes will determine the general layout.  Adherence to tradition indicates that we will have another tan/brown $100 with Sir Robert Borden gracing the front once again.  That leaves one unknown component--the image of the Parliament Buildings.

The $10 has the image of the Library of Parliament.  The $5 has the West Block.  Any thoughts as to what will appear on the $100?  The East Block?  The Peace Tower?  Other ideas?
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 07:10:14 pm »

Pierre Trudeau on a bank note??

NEVER OVER MY DEAD BODY!!

Marc :)
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 03:56:57 am »

I agree.  This is the guy who said that Canada's best interests were best served being aligned to third world, despotic tin-pots, rather than with the USA.

It's bad enough our airport has been named after him.

Marc :)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 04:19:41 pm »

I had a tremendous respect for Lester Pearson and would love to see him on one of the new banknotes.  Associated images could be the nobel peace prize and the inauguration of the candian flag.

jonathan
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 11:23:23 am »

For goodness sakes!  This is about the Parliament buildings on the new $100, not about other Prime Ministers.  I know you want to make your views on such irrelavent information, but could you please stay on the topics?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 11:24:17 am by jonathan »
rarenote
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 02:35:17 pm »

I absolutely agree!

Lets talk notes not politics.

Ron
Jason
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 07:59:35 pm »

Thank you Jonathan and Rarenote!  I was hoping that someone other than myself would point out that people have strayed from my original topic.

By the way, MY guess is that the $100-note will feature the Peace Tower.  It was so named to commemorate the peace that came after WWI, during which time we were led by Sir Robert Borden, of $100-note fame since 1975.  In addition, the Peace Tower, as well as most of Centre Block, was reconstructed during the Borden era after the fire of 1916.

Of course, this is just my GUESS.
harold
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 09:31:16 pm »

A fellow who posted an image of the new Journey $5 was fired by his financial institution.  His reason for dismissal was very clearly stated to him that it was a result of posting to this website.

All the bank employees monitoring this site take note of this,  think twice - act once.

We will all see the images soon enough.   :)

Harold
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 09:38:12 pm »

Yes, and a few phone calls from the RCMP and BoC convinced me not to allow such posts again either.

I like my wife, I don't want to be someone elses.
jonathan
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 04:54:44 pm »

I have seen a picture of a specimen note on the brochure I obtained from the Scotiabank promoting the new $100 note, and here is the scoop:

The Parliament buildings on the new $100 is NOT the Peace Tower, as Jason already guessed.  I seem almost confident that it is the East Block of Parliament, but it may have the Peace Tower in the background.

And that is my twoonie's worth.

After I make this post, I am only five posts away from my milestone 100th posting on the forum.

See you soon, Jonathan  ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 04:57:50 pm by jonathan »
Jason
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 10:35:42 pm »

Remember--my guess was made well in advance of the unveiling.... pictures clearly show that it is NOT the Peace Tower on the $100, and as my friend Jonathan has confirmed, it is in fact the East Block.

I guess the Peace Tower will have to wait for the $20 or $50.

Login with username, password and session length