Author
Topic: Changeover from Replacement Notes to Inserts  (Read 4650 times)
Collector-in-BC
« on: November 12, 2005, 11:32:04 pm »

Hi All,

Would anyone happen to know what year the BoC switched from using replacement notes to inserts? I know it was somewhere between 1991 and 2001.

Thanks,
      Duane

Wanted: Unc 1954 Beattie-Rasminsky *B/D $10
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 09:24:12 am »

I beleive it was June 1999 when I found GPH $5 replacements. I was hoping to get FNX B-T. GOT and GOV were already known by some collectors. I think the change came in the 5s sometime during 1998. I don't have any info on the other denominations but I will see what I can find.

These notes were different than what collectors were used to so someone came up with the name " inserts " and that has stuck for quite a while. The confirmation of FEP, by the BOC's Education Team, referred to them strictly as replacements. Maybe its time we followed the BoC and simply used the word, " replacement ".

Gary
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 10:01:55 pm by sudzee »
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 06:36:44 pm »

I agree with Gary.
The notes that were reffered to as inserts are in fact replacements for spoiled notes. Plain and simple.
Now, with the BOC press release officially confirming that they are still "replacements" (in their own words) it is time that we corrected our use of the term "insert" to "replacement" for those notes which are actually replacing spoiled notes.  Though this above statement may be repetitive in this thread, I include it because I believe it is important for the point to get accross.

Thank you

Hudson

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 06:39:39 pm »

Point of Clarification, if I may...

It was not through any sort of official announcement that the insert/replacement notes were confirmed. This was done in a response to an email question posed to the Bank of Canada's Education Team.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Collector-in-BC
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 08:02:33 pm »

Thanks Gary!

I guess the only notes that we should be calling inserts are the quality control inserts.

- Duane

Wanted: Unc 1954 Beattie-Rasminsky *B/D $10
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 04:25:22 am »

Thanks Brent for the clarification on that. What was I thinking   ::)  I do recall the original and yes you are right (of course ;) )

Peace,
Hudson

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 12:19:38 pm »

I've copy the original article from the old site (http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/English/BoC/Insert_Notes.htm) to the new site (http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/cpm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=2) for reference.

Anyone who wants to help move the HTML from the old to the new, let me know (cut, paste and "tweak).

Login with username, password and session length