Author
Topic: Problem with Canada Post!  (Read 6392 times)
larry
« on: November 18, 2005, 04:15:18 pm »

Hi Everyone,

I have a sad story to tell, and I hope some of you can give me some advice.

Someone sent me a banknote from Romania (Registered Mail) last week, I have received the lettermail, but there was no banknote inside. I also realized that their was an opening on the bottom, well not really the bottom (it depends how I hold the lettermail). Anyway their was an opening from inside the lettermail and had it closed with a tape. How can that happen?? It is a registered mail!! Can it be possible that someone working in Romania Post or Canada Post to steal it??

I have filed a complaint to Post Canada already!
Did anyone had any problem with Post Canada before / or had a similar problem as me?

What else can I do??
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 06:52:45 pm »

That's interesting.  There's not much that you can do.  It could be either post offices, or it can also be Canada Customs examing the letter.  Anyhow, since it was sent by Registered Mail from Romania, I am not sure if there is sufficient insurance to cover the value of the missing note.  Hopefully, it wasn't an expensive note.    

In the end, you're out of luck.  Canada Post can do an investigation, but not much else.  They won't be able to reimburse you for the loss.

:(

Smile from your heart.  ;D
canadianpaper
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 08:18:19 pm »

Larry,
Sorry to hear of your dilema. May we know who you purchased the item from. Ive heard scandelous things from those considering to purchase from Eastern European sources. As they say, if it sounds too good to be true... Not to sound paranoid, but do you think it was the sellers doing...
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 08:45:22 pm »

As per forum rules, please do not post any identifying information regarding the seller. Thanks!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 07:25:37 pm »

Someone sent me a banknote from Romania (Registered Mail) last week, I have received the lettermail, but there was no banknote inside. I also realized that their was an opening on the bottom, well not really the bottom (it depends how I hold the lettermail). Anyway their was an opening from inside the lettermail and had it closed with a tape. How can that happen?? It is a registered mail!! Can it be possible that someone working in Romania Post or Canada Post to steal it??

It is entirely possible that the note was never in the envelope, and that the envelope was cut and taped by the seller, before it ever left the seller's hands.  The seller could have done this himself to conceal fraud by trying to make it look like a mail theft.

Without knowing the seller (please don't reveal who it is,) it's hard to make a call like this, and I know it doesn't sound like I have much faith in humanity during this Christmas season to be posting this, but I am still more likely to suspect the seller as a fraudster than I am to suspect tampering/theft of a registered letter by either country's postal service.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 07:26:30 pm by grandish »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 07:19:28 am »

We will never know who took the note, if indeed one was ever in the envelope. To ship items of value to many countries is the same as throwing it away, it never gets there. Eastern Europe, and Italy are amongst those countries.

While theft in the mails is small in Canada, it is high in many other countries. It is likely in this case that the item had been removed outside of Canada.

A little tip. Before signing and accepting registered mail from outside of North America, inspect the package. If it appears to be tampered with, refuse it. Once you sign for it and accept it, it is yours.

Rick

Login with username, password and session length