Author
Topic: 1923 $1 Dominion Purple Seal Test Notes – High Sheet Numbers – Info Wanted  (Read 4491 times)
Just Bank Notes

Hello CPMF,

I am continuing to research 1923 $1 Dominion purple seal test notes in the high sheet number range (above 6493000).

People commonly say serial numbers – Dominion notes were printed with the same “sheet number” on four note sheets and used check letters A, B, C, and D to differentiate them.

The Charlton Press catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money provides some background to printing purple seal Dominion notes with two different sets of signatures extending over three ranges of sheet numbers. The first two ranges of sheet numbers can be explained by updating to new signatures, however a reversion back to old signatures in the third (high) sheet number range is not clearly explained.

The CPMS Note Registry Volume II lists more than 200 purple seal Dominion notes by sheet number/check letter.  This is not a complete list and new discoveries are added as they come to light.

High sheet number notes are hard to find.

Only 7 notes in the high sheet number notes have been observed to date.  Six high sheet number notes are shown on our CPMF note register and I can add a seventh, 6502028/C (BCS VG 10).

I would like information from members on how many other high sheet number notes are known.  CPMF, please check your collections and share additional high sheet numbers here or send me a PM if you wish to remain private.

Cheers,
“Just Bank Notes”
Just Bank Notes

Hello CPMF,

Here is a photo of a nice high sheet number 1923 Dominion $1 purple seal test note.  It was sold in the recent 2022 RCNA auction and is graded Legacy VF 30.  This note is the second highest graded high sheet number currently known – although there are only 7 notes recorded.

The last time a high sheet number note was offered in auction was 2010.

Cheers,
JBN

Just Bank Notes

Another high sheet number 1923 Dominion $1 purple seal test note has been found; it sold on eBay yesterday for a bargain.  This test note has sheet number/check letter C6509484/D and appears to be original F-VF.  I waited to post this information until the auction ended in fairness to anyone bidding who had a sharp eye and noticed this scarce Dominion test note.

There are now eight high sheet number notes and they continue to be elusive.  The CPMS registry, fifth edition updated in 2022, lists purple seal notes seen by collectors.  I have added more notes since the last edition and my totals are summarized below:

• McCavour-Saunders purple seal low sheet number range 6000001 to 6386000: 162 notes listed
    • Campbell-Sellar purple seal sheet numbers 6386001 to 6493000: 60 notes listed
    • McCavour-Saunders purple seal high sheet number range 6493001 to 6525000: 8 notes listed

Cheers,
    JBN
Just Bank Notes

The newest edition of the Charlton catalogue for Canadian Government Paper Money (35th for 2024) now separately lists 1923 $1 McCavour-Saunders purple seal low and high sheet number ranges.  The low range continues to use catalogue number DC-25k and the high range has a new DC-25k-i designation.

So far, only 8 high sheet number notes have been observed.  More notes may come to light with this addition to the Charlton catalogue.

JBN

Login with username, password and session length