Author
Topic: New notes from ATMs.  (Read 5525 times)
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« on: December 12, 2005, 11:49:33 am »

I was expecting the usual abundance of new notes dispenced from ATMs just before and after Xmas each year. This has still not materialised this year. In fact I haven't seen new notes in ATMs or in bank branches since the middle of Sept. The notes I have been getting are about 50/50 bird and new 20s, 80/20 bird and new 50s and about 40/60 for the 100s from tellers. I wonder why such a long draught for new stuff.

One would think that the new emphysis on security would have prompted a quicker changeover to the new notes. Having to deal with 2 different 5s, 3 different 10s, 2 different 20s, 2 different 50s and 2 different 100s, and a few multicolour must be difficult for the banks and certainly reduces the effectiveness of anti-counterfeit measures taken.

One would also think that the chartered banks would take it upon themselves to reduce workload by pulling all old notes out of circulation. Talk around most of the branches I frequent seems to still be couterfeit this and counterfeit that. Its a pain having to stand around waiting for virtually every note to be checked before deposit at the banks or at the majority of retail outlets.

I'm off to a few more ATMs and hope to finally get something new.

Gary

rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 05:25:36 pm »

I would really like to see old notes withdrawn quickly, and replace them with new types.

I bought gasoline yesterday for my gas eating hog, and the total came to $79. Handed the guy a $100, and he said he could not change it. When I pointed out he only owed me $21, He then said the problem was counterfeit notes floating around.

Despite my assurances, he wouldn't accept the note. So I paid with a Sears card (it was a Petro Canada outlet).

It was an old $100 note. I didn't have anything else in which to pay him. I guess the whole point is if the $100 note are not accepted for payment, what good are they really?

Rick

Login with username, password and session length