Author
Topic: Writing on paper moneyI  (Read 6103 times)
Donna70
« on: December 20, 2005, 09:35:40 am »

I have just aquired a 1954 50$ it has writing on it, I know that the writing decreases the value what I need to know is if there is any safe method of removal? If anyone has any ideas Please let me know.Thanks Donna
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 10:22:22 am »

Hi Donna, welcome to the site.  
As far as I know, any type of removal agent would actually do more damage to the note paper itself.  
Often numbers are added by bank personell when counting notes in irregular amount bundles.  
Unfortunately, it just becomes part of the note's "Character".
Hope this helps.  
Regards,
Hudson

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 05:46:11 pm »

The writing usually lessons the value of the note, often bringing it down to face value.

If pencil, it may be erased with a suitable eraser. If ink, not likely it will come out. Too much vigor usually damages the paper, and material used to take off ink will often not suceed.

Rick
see323
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 12:08:58 am »

I have just aquired a 1954 50$ it has writing on it, I know that the writing decreases the value what I need to know is if there is any safe method of removal? If anyone has any ideas Please let me know.Thanks Donna

Just leave the note as it is. Original condition is the best. I have an old scarce note with many ink chops. As what some would say. It is unique and has a character and personality and can be easily identified by those who know this piece. Doing nothing is better than doing something. Usually an expert banknote collector or dealer will be able to detect whether something have been done to improve the grade of the note. With original condition, non-pressed, non-washed and non-repaired, buyer will have more confident when purchasing your note. You do not want another collector or buyer to come back to you and ask you a difficult and embrassing question. "What have you done to the note before it was sold to me ?"   Keep it original and you will be rewarded. :)

WINS#665

Singapore Numismatics Association (SNA) Life Membership L-161
Donna70
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 11:31:43 pm »

Thanks for you suggestions I will defiately leave the bill as is and enjoy it all the same :) Donna

Login with username, password and session length