Author
Topic: New help with French  (Read 6722 times)
admin
  • Administrator
« on: December 27, 2005, 01:45:13 pm »

Just wondering if anyone here can help out...

The system that we use here (YaBB 2.1) now allows us each to pick a default language to work it. This would change all the "system" buttons, messages, and emails to a different language. I've actually loaded German as an option, you can go into your profile, change your language to German and see what I mean.

[hint]Note: this does not translate POSTS. What people write remains in the language they write it in.[/hint]

Anyway, after waiting months for a French language Pack, nothing has arrived and from what I can tell, nobody in the world is working on one. This suprizes me, as the process is actually pretty easy (technically), but since I'm clueless about French, I can't do it. I would like to give our forum members the option to work in the language of their choice.

Here's a post explaining the process: http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1132109224, and I can provide all the files and technical help necessary.

I'm looking for someone with a good French vocabulary of computer and internet terms (not so much paper money), that would be willing to help with the translation and then we could post it to the YaBB system forum for everyone. I personally would like it to be French-Canadian, and we'll let the Parisians work on their own flavour.

Any takers?  :-?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 01:48:02 pm by admin »
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 07:08:02 pm »

Here's a sample of what's involved. Take this and insert the appropriate French phrase:

Code: [Select]
'31' => "Remove",
'33' => "Start new topic",
'34' => "Login",
'34a' => "Update Session",
'54' => "Remove",
'55' => "Remove Selected",
'63' => "Moderators",
'66' => "Modify",
'69' => "Email",
'70' => "My Favorites",
'71' => "Add to Favorites",

I'd get things like:
Code: [Select]
'31' => "Enlever",
'33' => "Commencer le nouveau sujet",
'34' => "Login",
'34a' => "Mettre à jour la Séance",
'54' => "Enlever",
'55' => "Enlever Choisi",
'63' => "Modérateurs",
'66' => "Modifier",
'69' => "E-mail",
'70' => "Mon Favorites",
'71' => "Ajouter à Favorites",
which seems pretty crude to me.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 07:11:58 pm by admin »
CCCS
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 03:12:41 pm »

How many words/phrase are we talking about?  :o

Louis
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 04:13:32 pm »

I don't know how many words/phrases we're dealing with, but regardless, even if you're able to do a chunk of them, your assistance will be appreciated. Many hands make light work.

Saying that might make me seem hypocritical, but trust me, you wouldn't want me attempting to translate French. My skills have deteriorated astonishingly fast due to lack of use over several years.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
CCCS
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 08:38:06 pm »

I am presently working on the March 2006 auction. Let me get through this and I will see what I can do.

Louis
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 08:50:19 pm »

Thanks everyone, I've had several people offer to help, more, in fact, than I was ever hoping for.

Here's my plan...

There are several files that need to be translated. I'm going to try to post each one is it's own post in a new "translation" section. As I get translations, I'll post them so we can all have a look. When we get some sense of agreement, I'll convert the posts back into the necessary file forms.

Hopefully we won't get into too many fights about wording though.  ;)

Login with username, password and session length