Author
Topic: 2-Letter asterisk Replacement notes  (Read 8158 times)
Lamb
« on: February 05, 2004, 03:31:21 am »

While we wait for the big 100 to appear, could i ask all, especially the more experienced members (one has to be careful with title these days, ) a question that bothers me a long time ?
  the question is:
    In the modern 2 letter series (1969 for $20, 1971 for $10... )  Charlton's has listed many asterisk notes,  but are these all the asterisk notes ?   for example, in 1969 $20, there are EA*, EB*, EH*, EM*, EV*, EX*, EZ*, But are there, say, EC*, ED*, etc ?  If not, why not ?
      i don't think charlton tells us that, but i am a careless or impatient reader, i may have missed that.  
thanks in advance.

John
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 05:03:18 pm »

I think that is an excellent question!

I have no idea as to the answer, but I am now very interested in hearing it.

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
JWS
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 06:52:03 pm »

It is my understanding that the * notes listed in the Charlton Standard Catalogue are the only KNOWN * notes produced. The quantities listed are estimates based on the Low and High numbers discovered. If an unlisted * note were discovered and proved to be genuine, it would be quite a find.
Just as is the case today, not all prefixes are used as insert or replacement notes.
   :)   JWS    :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 07:54:53 pm by JWS »
Russ
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 09:54:09 pm »

The February Torex has an interesting replacement note, uncut pair, up for auction. Lawson-Bouey, *OG6296586 and *OG6297586. Lot #195, estimate is $2000.00! A fairly common replacement prefix, but I thought all the $1.00 sheets came with a Crow-Bouey signature.
Lamb
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 06:27:36 pm »

Hi, All,
     What I wish to know is if the asterick prefixes in Charlton's are all there are for a fact or officially.  (I really hope the Museum would shed some light here, unless it concerns national security).
     If these are all the prefixes, why are they so random ?   Bureaucrats do not do things in random, they have to write reports on them, to justify all actions to their boss.  
    I was hoping someone would show me there is a pattern.

I took a look.    (I am sure I am reinventing the old wheel, nothing brilliant )

Here is what i found, omission is unavoidable, please let me know.

The `pattern'
First  Letter
A  $1         B   $ 2       C    $5     D   $10     E    $20    F  $1
G  $1         H   $ 50     I     $1     J    $100   K            
L( $1)       M   ($1)      N   ($1)   O   ($1)     P ($1)  Q
R   $2        S    $5      T    ($10)   U   ($2)    V    ($10)
W  ($20)   X  ($5)     Y    ($20)    Z

Of all the 26 alpha.  only 3 were never used in the 1st letter.  [Those in ( ) were used in non-asterick/common notes.]  is it because K & Q  are King & Queen ?   Z is not used because BoC did not get around  to it ?

2nd Letter

A   1
B   1
C    2      50    100
D    
E    10
F     1    
G    1  1
H    20
I
J     2  
K     10
L        1  5
M      2     20
N         1   1
O
P      5
Q
R      10  
S      5
T      
U     1     5
V       1   5
W    2    5
X     2 10  20
Y    10
Z     20    

In this list of 2nd letter of the prefixes, the following letters are not used.
I 0     (understandable, easily confused with 1 & 0)
D Q T    ( Now, why are these used, Q could be confusing, but D & T ?  

anyone, especially the more experienced members have any insight to add, please.

$1      AA AB AL AN             
               FA FB FG FN FV       
               GF GL GU GY      
               IA IG IL IV
               OG OL

$2      BA BC BJ BM BX      
               RA RE RW       
               UG                  

$5      CS CU CV            
               SB SF SL SP SW

$10      DA DB DE DG            
               DK DR DX      DY

$20      EA EB EH EM EV EX       EZ      
               YA

50      HB HC                                          

100      JA JC                                          

« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 11:33:01 pm by admin »

John
Gary_W
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 10:05:12 pm »

To answer a couple of the questions you asked. K doesn't have anything to do with the king. K is the indicator of $1,000.00 notes and were never issued in the multi-coloured series. The second letter was only a series issue and your list is not complete in this area. For example 1971  $10.00 *TT and *VA are missing from your list.
The BOC doesn't have to report every move they make to the public. Replacement notes were printed as needed, usually with existing prefixes and sometimes in very small quantities to meet their needs. Hopefully some of this is of use to you.
Gary
Lamb
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 11:15:31 pm »

hi, Brent,
  your lists are so coooool.

thanks, Gary, too for pointing out the omissions.  i forgot the $1000, but then it is not part of multicolor series.

it is fun.

John
Lamb
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 01:03:49 am »

Could that & the 2 letter lists be placed in Paul's Treasure House (Resources) ?  they would be useful and handy there.

John
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004, 11:34:06 pm »

I've been playing with it. I'm having a few problems but I'll keep at it.  :D
jonathan
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004, 12:41:45 pm »

Lamb, according to your list of two letter asterisk prefixes, you said that letter D and T was never used as a second letter in the asterisk replacement prefix...

Well, guess what?  There have been a $1 prefix *MD on the 1973 series, but I believe there have been only one or two *MD's reported and are worth thousands of dollars in mint condition.

You don't believe me?  Look in the Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money and find out...

Later, Jonathan
Lamb
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2004, 01:34:34 pm »

thanks, jonathan,
  indeed it seems like all alphabets have been used other than the I O Q . I am glad, because it is one fewer puzzle.
thanks again.

John

Login with username, password and session length