Author
Topic: Buyer Beware....!!  (Read 4738 times)
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« on: January 21, 2006, 10:22:32 pm »

I noticed the 1967 Gold Flag error post and just wanted to add the topic of scams on ebay

Today I saw a VG - Fine 1969 $20.00 regular EH prefix note being advertised as an *EH replacement in EF condition.
This note is very well worn with heavy soiling, lots of creases and its being graded as an Extra Fine!  I couldn't help myself in asking the seller where the asterisk was and how he came to the conclusion it was an extra fine note.  

Scrolling down a few items and there's an UNC BEK $10.00 change-over bill listed.  In the description the seller states its a Jenkins-Dodge note even though the serial number is in the 2 million range and there's no front photo (to confirm its signature).  An unwary buyer might think its a bargain. Again I asked the seller if he had the correct signature.

I myself have been burned on eBay...esp with regards to grading.  However the worse came in my first bidding attempts when I thought I was bidding on a circulation issued Bonin/Thiessen BRX note that was listed at $85 when in fact I believe its a cut off from the Royal Canadian Mint issue.  I had read the note in the Charlton guide incorrectly...and was fooled by the high starting bid. This nearly happened a second time, which was in fact when I re-read the note in Charlton and discovered that my replacement note wasn't a bonified circulated issued note.  It was a year after my big "boner" purchase and the seller was no longer a registered user.

Today I felt like the "ebay cop"...and I hope other members of this forum take the time to ask some of the  "characters" out there a few questions when trying to pass off a note which is obviously misrepresentation and a BAD deal for the seller.

James  8-)

slip_stream13
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 01:11:43 am »

I hear you. I to am an eBay cop. I write people constantly and say what are you thinking dude, that note is junk or, an unc is not aloud that crease and a corner fold. eBay can be ok, I buy and sell there all the time. When I sell, I`m 100% honest and when I buy I`m a scammers worst nightmare and I will make his life horrible. I hate it when long time sellers still say common crap notes are RARE or SCARCE. Come on people, your just trying to rip off new collectors just shopping the eBay banknotes department. Knock it off. If you wanna see my "I tell it like it is" listings, my eBay handle is slip_stream13. I guess everyone learns there lessons the hard way.
Dwayne
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 08:12:37 pm »

Looks like we can learn a lot from you Dwayne given that you appear to have reached the pinnacle of disclosure ethics and accountability.

Troy
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 09:50:29 pm by TheMonetaryMan »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 10:09:12 pm »

Follow up to my Question of the eBay seller regarding:
the EH fine 1969 $20.00 passed of as an asterisk note:

The seller actually wrote back to answer my question in very questionable English:
he stated that the bill was a "low issue" and thus an asterisk note (even though there
is no asterisk on the photo) and that was why he listed it with "NO RESERVE"

Unfortunately, this note sold for $40.00 about what a true *EH would go for in VG condition
but considering it is one dirty dog-eared remnant of a 10,000,000 printing its not worth more
than $20.00

I received no reply from the Knight/Dodge being advertised as a Jenkins/Dodge BEK

Also be wary of sellers who do not inform you of their shipping and handling: I've been charged
$5.00 for regular postage.  There is a seller auctioning a fine FDU replacement with a $35.00 S/H
fee...but at least he posts this and states it a couple of times!

Oh and by the way Dwayne:  
I'm not advocating  downgrading an auction item...or to be super critical of
notes that we win a bid on.  I know with all the fees involved (including Paypal) that its very difficult to
make much out of what we sell.  I think it should be part the bidder's responsibility (and the sellers) to ascertain
the grade of a note before bidding.  

CHECK THE SELLER'S FEEDBACK!  

ASK QUESTIONS and for more scans if in doubt  

I also believe that everyone should avoid poorly photographed items!  

nova7415
  • Errors are the best as there are only 1 of a kind
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »

After reading this post I was reminded of my very 1st purchase from an ebay seller that is no longer registered. He was selling a 1937 Gordon/Towers 20.00 in "UNC" condition, starting at 20.00, which I eventualy won for 85.00 CAD. I thought, to myself, boy this is going to be a great way to add to my paper money collection with such super deals ;D! That was just the beginning of a 2 month nightmare. This seller moved to a different province, changed his email.....etc. I was lucky enough to finally track him down, through another burned ebay buyer of his, and when I received the note, I found out it was just a cleaned and pressed VF-EF note at best :o :-[ :'(! I just wanted to let you know that your not alone with respect to buying deceived notes from bad sellers through ebay :(.

[size=10][Edited post to remove name of eBay seller. --BWJM][/size][/color]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 04:40:58 pm by BWJM »
Travsy
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 08:37:50 pm »

I hear you. I to am an eBay cop. I write people constantly and say what are you thinking dude, that note is junk or, an unc is not aloud that crease and a corner fold. eBay can be ok, I buy and sell there all the time. When I sell, I`m 100% honest and when I buy I`m a scammers worst nightmare and I will make his life horrible. I hate it when long time sellers still say common crap notes are RARE or SCARCE. Come on people, your just trying to rip off new collectors just shopping the eBay banknotes department. Knock it off. If you wanna see my "I tell it like it is" listings, my eBay handle is slip_stream13. I guess everyone learns there lessons the hard way.
Dwayne
Well I dunno about you but I had a lot of fun with the person advertising the newly discovered RARE "Upside Down Devils Face in Hair" 54 $100.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 10:51:31 am »

Walk the water certainly does have the right idea for selling.

Not every transaction is perfect, all the seller can do is use common sense and attempt to please the buyer.
Some buyers are more difficult. Some make unreasonable demands, but most just want their money's worth.

Rick

Login with username, password and session length