Author
Topic: Why does so people say bad things about eBay?  (Read 4976 times)
slip_stream13
« on: January 29, 2006, 05:34:51 pm »

This may, and I`m sure it will be a sore spot to many, but I`d like to know why so many people run down eBay? I have made about 130+ banknote purchases from eBay and have had only 4 problems. I guess I can`t really say problems because I was refunded all 4 times. I have won beautiful original UNC notes for a fraction of book cost. For instance, I won an original AU 1937 $50 for $149.00US. $130.00 replacement notes for $80.00 and many more great deals. I have found about 90-95% of eBay sellers have graded properly....thats not bad. Try to go to a car dealership and get 90-95% honesty when purchasing a car. I`ve been to a couple of shows and have seen more pressed and altered notes being sold as original UNC`s then I have ever seen on eBay.

My theory is that dealers are threatened by eBay because theres great deals to be had. I can guarentee I won`t be getting an AU 1937 $50 for $149.00 at a dealer. Before the wonders of the internet, dealers were it. Thats where you had to go to purchase banknotes for the most part and if you check any dealers websites, there prices are book value. Sure they have a little room and can provide a small discount, but they have over head and need to profit so much. Theres a few dealers where I`m from and if I mention eBay.......there quick to try and lure me from buying there. They actually try to make me feel like I`m an idiot for trusting in eBay sellers. Well, I`m just saying to all, don`t let anyone tell you eBays ALL bad, the positive experiences I`ve had greatly outweigh the negative ones. I have met a lot of fellow collectors on eBay and we talk regularly. Darcy, Troy, Rene, Paul(Bigdad),Arthur...if your reading this, your all aces in my books.
SLIP.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 05:55:16 pm »

It is the experience of the moderators that threads about e-bay often degenerate into mud slingling. This is why the former e-bay folder was closed down.   We have decided to allow this posting to stand, but the thread will be monitored closely by the moderators and any violation of the forum rules will not be tolerated.

Please re-read the forum rules before posting and please tread carefully!!!!.

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 08:47:59 pm »

I accept the challenge and will walk on the proverbial egg shells.

I just wanted to give everyone a tip about eBay...make your purchases in January - it's worth it!!!  I'm getting the best deals this month at better prices than I get in any other month.  Most of the time mine is the only bid or there are one or two challengers.

My guess is everyone is still broke from their purchases during the Holidays in December.  And January is when all the credit card bills start rolling in...

So if you're a buyer, make your eBay purchases in January; if you're a seller - forget what I said...please keep listing your items in January  ;)

buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 08:14:31 pm »

Hello people, I have been lurking this board for several months now and just decided I would like to register.

I have purchased several notes on Ebay also and have had mostly good results. If I get a note I feel was overgraded then that seller never gets another bid from me again. It's that simple. Typically unless it's a note I really want I gauge my bid on the note being 1 grade lower than advertised to protect myself to a degree.

I don't recognize any of the other names on here besides Troy ( themonetaryman ) whom I have bought numerous notes from.

I have enjoyed reading through some of the threads

Thanks
Andrew

Ajax, Ontario
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 09:06:44 pm »

I find eBay an exciting addition to collecting. :)

I've also notice the "bad rap"  some people  will give it.  I find it a bit surprising
since I think its likely the way of the future.

You've got a good point about when to buy on eBay....so true!

You are also correct in noting that the grading is subject to a bit of manipulation or ignorance.

I posted the "Buyer Beware" only because there are always "shady deals" out there and they
can happen anywhere...esp in online auctions where you cannot be present to inspect the
product.  Some sellers are better than others (naturally) and patronage is one way to keep them
on track.

I'm happy to hear that there is some emerging competition in online auction business.  
Afterall some of the fees for such services should be kept competitive.  They do cut  a little
into the seller or buyer's budgets when you add in postage, the method of payment, and the
other charges (insertion and final value fees).

rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 02:57:05 pm »

Bad things about buying on ebay can be summed up as follows.

There is a lot of people who sell without being able to reasonably grade the merchandise and many lack experience in customer relations.

There are far too many people who sell with the intent of ripping off others.

Few of the sellers are members of a professional organization (like CAND). There is no way to force the issue if they do not belong to CAND. Being a member of the CPMS means the seller has an interest in paper, however, to be a member, one only needs to apply and pay for it.

CAND has helped many collectors over the past 30 years to recover funds paid improperly, and has caused several to be refunded.

Follow ebay rules when bidding, and read the sellers rules before bidding. It is too late to complain after the deal goes bad unless that dealer is a member of CAND.

Rick
CAND President
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 04:21:00 pm »

There is absolutely nothing unique about eBay in the list of issues presented by the last poster.

"There is a lot of people who sell without being able to reasonably grade the merchandise and many lack experience in customer relations. "  <Same with non eBay dealers, who incidentially are often the same people at shows and who run retail shops>

"There are far too many people who sell with the intent of ripping off others". <welcome to the dark side of a market economy.. all industries, all venues>

"Few of the sellers are members of a professional organization (like CAND). There is no way to force the issue if they do not belong to CAND. Being a member of the CPMS means the seller has an interest in paper, however, to be a member, one only needs to apply and pay for it."

What was presented falls way short of describing the UNIQUE issues that eBay buyers and sellers face which are UNLIKE the issues bricks and mortar buyers and sellers face.

However definitely a self serving plug for CAND if I have ever seen one.

Troy

« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 04:27:36 pm by TheMonetaryMan »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 04:28:57 pm »

However definitely a self serving plug for CAND if I have ever seen one.

Why do we even bother letting these things get posted? It is inevitable that comments like the one I quoted above are going to occur.

THREAD CLOSED.

One inappropriate comment did it. Sorry folks.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 04:42:19 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length