Author
Topic: CTC Notes - Serial number basics?  (Read 4864 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: February 18, 2004, 01:48:31 am »

I have been accumulating a pile of CTC money ever since the new CTC gas bar and store opened up here in Kitchener.  I've noticed that the serial numbers seem to be very well-mixed.  Just in the small pile I've got, I've seen jumps like the following:
0003081078 $0.25
0003205707 $1.00
That's a difference of only ~125,000 notes.

I'm also noticing lots of serial numbers that start with 00--, 02--, 20--, 30--, 75-- and 99--.  I've also got a couple older notes with letters at the beginning of the number.  The ones I have start with A-, D- and Q-.

My questions are... What should I be looking out for in regards to serial numbers?  Where are the changeover points for denominations, series and signatures?  As in the 1979 BoC $5 and $20 notes having the first 4 digits representing the "prefix", what part of the CTC note serial numbers represent a "prefix"?

Thanks

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 03:44:47 am »

Also, I've noticed two different sizes of serial numbers on new notes... one that is roughly twice the height of the other.  The smaller size seems to be exactly what we're seeing on the Journey notes.  What ranges of numbers hold the different sizes?  Why are there two sizes?  Do more than one company print the notes?

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 11:48:48 am »

Hi Brent.

The following web site will answer ALL your questions!  It is like a Charlton for Canadian Tire Money.

http://members.shaw.ca/lfontaine/index2.html

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 10:54:17 pm »

So from what I can gather, a 10c note signed Pasternak/Sales and number 9000222167 is a replacement note.  Am I correct?

What about a 25c note signed Pasternak/Sales and number 9902690592?

Figuring out CTC notes is proving to be a challenge.  Perhaps I can con Dick Dunn into giving me a tutorial at the next show.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Stinger
  • What trees make the best paper money?
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 11:55:14 pm »

Canadian Tire money is now at Series 27. From series 1 to series 13 there was always a letter before the serial number.  Series 14 went straight numbers,  no more prefix.  Like our Canadian currency a signature change will create a new series.  The 75th anniversary created a new series,  and before that the 50th.  

As for changeovers, myself I don't know, its hard.  Right now the 5 cent coupons have a 2004 date.  For some reason they have dropped down to a 2002 date.  Why this happened I don't know.  

Series 1 to series 6 had big numbers.  Series 7 to series 9 had small numbers.  Series 10 to series 11 had big numbers.  Series 12 on had all small numbers.  Series 24 and 25 the numbers were twice the size.  Again I dont know why.Series 26 and 27 are small numbers.

All coupons are printed by BABN and CBNC.  At the back of the coupon on the bottom in the  middle it will say who made it.  However in series 27 they don't tell you who made it.  

The 10 cent Pasternak/Sales is a replacement.  

Series 27.. 5 cent starts with 02
replacement starts with a 9.

10 cent starts with 02
replacement starts with a 9.

25 cent starts with 99,
replacement starts with 999.

50 cent starts with 3,
replacement starts with 9.

All signatures are Pasternak/Sales varying dates from 2002-2004.

Figuring out CTC is tough.  I got Lou Fontaines price list/catalogue for $10 (best money ever spent) and read over and over and over and then it all clicked in.  This is the reason I enjoy collecting CTC so much.  Hope this helps. Stinger.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 10:12:04 pm by Stinger »

Login with username, password and session length