Author
Topic: A favourite note  (Read 6915 times)
Bob
« on: February 21, 2004, 01:03:30 pm »

I thought I'd share this scan of one of my favourite notes - Standard Bank of Canada $10, 1900.  I am particularly partial to the rural vignette, "Christmas in the fields".
The Standard Bank of Canada was the name chosen by the reorganized St. Lawrence Bank, in 1876.  It was absorbed by the Canadian Bank of Commerce in 1928.  The Standard Bank issued a number of very attractive notes.
The note shown was once, I believe, the property of the late Jack Veffer.  It has been in my collection since 1984.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 02:12:57 pm »

That is a gorgeous note Bob, keep it up and you may have competition with collecting them.  You know that I am close to moving onto collecting something different.   :-*

Tom  8)
kobecurrency
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 03:51:58 am »

Although not as spectacular as Bob's 1900 $10, here is a Standard Bk of Can 1919 $20 in Francis-Easson (3 signature varieties in this type), with the face design of two allegorical women, one wearing mantilla, the other a wreath of roses.

In addition, Standard Bk of Can absorbed the Western Bk of Can in 1909, then amalgamated with the Sterling Bk of Can in 1924, before the union with Canadian Bk of Commerce in 1928.

{:http://members.shaw.ca/ekong/kobecurrency/Standard%20Bk.jpg}

Bob
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 12:29:42 pm »

Another beautiful Standard Bank design!  A good signature too - Francis-Easson is much tougher than White-McLeod.
Here's one more:

Collecting Canadian since 1955
justeo
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 04:24:47 pm »

These notes are just great. Would it be possible to start a museum of scans for all to enjoy? I will be eager to participate actively.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 12:11:09 am »

I don't mind setting up some kind of museum or "show-and-tell" website.

I'll start a new thread elsewhere in the forums later this evening and anyone who is interested can post their opinions, suggestions, etc. there.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length