Author
Topic: Counterfeit LOONIE found today!  (Read 12291 times)
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« on: April 27, 2006, 05:21:01 pm »

I got this fake $1 coin in my change today, and noticed it after I got home.  I scanned it along with a genuine one.  Can you tell which is which?

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 05:31:11 pm »

If anyone of those would be counterfit I would have to say the one dated 1990 would be it. But is it possible that it is just a worn out coin?? I'm not saying that it is not a fake, since I'm unable to view it up close, but it's hard to believe that someone would go through all that trouble to make a dollar. But if it is than I guess a counterfitter will do anything to make a buck ;)
wickedless
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 06:42:34 pm »

It's the 1990, got one just like it. A friend of mine gave it to me a few years ago and told me that the tell tale sign was the detached bill on the loon.. 8-)
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 01:04:47 am »

I hear that there were about 1600 of these produced, and the RCMP seized about half.  So it's a bit of a scarcity, and a good conversation piece.  It's staying in my collection!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:31:19 pm by BWJM »

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 04:56:43 pm »

Yep, that is a rare one.  The duck bill detatched is the kicker.  I remember when they hit the news with that.  Nice find!!

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
JB-2007
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 03:20:08 pm »

i would never had noticed that it was a fake. besides the detached bill, what else gave it away? Lighter color? Lighter weight? Different type of coinage?

A few ago i had found a 2000W two dollar coin in change. It caught my eyes right away because in 2000, they only circulated the knowledge 2000 $2. The regular polar bear $2 2000, and 2000W were only issued in proof. Could mine be a fake?
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 06:10:13 pm »

It could be a fake but more than likely it is a coin taken out of a proof set I would think.

A few years back I got a quartar that was a Nova Scotia provincial series with the light house on it but it was made of silver, only available from sets in a case.

Gary_T
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 08:23:48 pm »

i would never had noticed that it was a fake. besides the detached bill, what else gave it away? Lighter color? Lighter weight? Different type of coinage?

The thing that made me notice it was that it was shiny like new (you can't tell from the scan, but it looks like new!)  Shiny loonies are something of a rarity around here, so I tend to look at them to see when they were made.  1995 and 1996 seem to be the most common shiny ones around here(Maybe there was a hoard of them at the mint for years that they just released recently?)

After seeing a shiny loonie with a 1990 date I looked at it a little closer, and that's when I noticed the irregularities.

Login with username, password and session length