Author
Topic: Upgrade your collection now!  (Read 5769 times)
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« on: May 08, 2006, 01:57:14 pm »

I've noticed that at recent coin shows members will bring along their old notes for trading.  

I want to encourage all members to do this since you can get some great notes if you trade.  Why not do some house cleaning and get rid of those old notes that you know are "Common as grass." Sure they might have sentinmental value (your granny gave them to you)...but to other collectors and dealers...they probably won't even give you face... or they might give you a slight premium -- but do it now while you can!

I got rid of some old notes that I just know won't go up in value (eg 3 1954 Beattie/Coyne $50.00, 86 $2 radar, 02 $5 radar, 69/79 $20.00) -- and even some newer issue that I was speculating on.

You can see these notes don't even sell well on eBay!  So it would be crazy for me to hold onto them and think that in 15 years I'm going to make something on them.  

I traded these and other notes (some even at face - 69/79 $20 which are in abundance) to purchase a lovely general UNC $5.00 1954 *NS replacement.  Now a few members and another dealer wanted to convince me this note wasn't truly UNC.  And if I wanted to be super critical yes there's possible evidence of a very slight fold at one time (maybe aUNC++++).   Another dealer said the note was pressed.  Well maybe in a book, but it hasn't got the brown tinge of an iron press.  I showed the low numbered set he sold me which had some slight folds from poor handling! (Re 54 replacement) Borders are super white, its well centered, a very clean nice example which to me is original UNC (maybe not gem), but you get the idea!  So my point is:  [b]Get your old notes and get trading them![/b]

I've seen too many new collectors holding on to circulated 69 to 74 multicolored series, etc thinking people are going to want them!   I saw wads of circulated Journey notes stacked in boxes, and coat pockets, never to be turned into something new.  Sure the prices of the TLC Kitchener show were pricey...but if you talk to most of these dealers they'll go down -- significantly.  If you trade they go down even more.  And if you're nice (and don't dicker tooo much) throw in a couple circulated notes that you know have potential for face (cause you ain't goin holdonto em forever---whereas he has the market to unload them quicker)-- you'd be surprised what that kind of courtesy can buy you!

Any..way... just a little advice to the newbies around here!

Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 02:41:08 pm »

That was a beautiful note, and some good advice too. Even dealers from stores are whiling to work with you and will come down in price, especially when you show them some notes for trading.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 02:42:18 pm by Oli1001 »
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 06:46:53 pm »

I've seen too many new collectors holding on to circulated 69 to 74 multicolored series, etc thinking people are going to want them!

I am exactly one collector who buys circulated 1969-1979 notes.  Unline many people on this board, I do not have deep pockets and cannot drop a few hundred $$$ on something that is just going to sit in a collection.  I need money for groceries, shelter, you know; the basics.  Trying to raise a family with two young children in Vancouver on a single income is extremely difficult these days.  I collect circulated multicoloured notes because they are affordable and because I like them, not because I expect they will go up in value over time.  In fact the only way my wife lets me buy notes at all is if they can be liquidated (i.e. SPENT) in a hurry if needed.  If anyone has any to get rid of I'll gladly take them off your hands, but I won't be able to afford much more than face value.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 06:47:41 pm by grandish »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 07:04:51 pm »

Check out my post in the Trading Post forum. There are some nice deals there.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 08:01:13 pm »

I look at my collection as more of an investments not many notes go down in price especially with new colllectors starting all the time and what will a bank give you0.5 % wow notes go up more than that every 5 years let say And you are right with your trading up is a great way to aquire those ellusive notes
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 09:02:23 pm »

I collect circulated multicoloured notes because they are affordable and because I like them, not because I expect they will go up in value over time.

I'm not advising people to liquidate their collection or to collect in any particular way

But to those who are interested in making their collection more than a hobby, more as an exciting investment, or something to change up every now and again -- and to those who go to shows and carry back all their old notes that were sitting in their briefcase/backpacks/cardboard boxes.... You might want to break some old habits and see what a dealer is willing to trade with you.  You've got nothing to lose to ask.  And as I suggested earlier BE FLEXIBLE (and open minded) because you won't miss those old notes...esp if you can make them work for you.

My first experience trading (even though I've been collecting for 30 years!) came only 2 years ago at a show in Cambridge.  I brought some old coins that i had picked up over my childhood and hardly looked at.  None of them were anything special (except perhaps a tombac nickel) so I was very happy when the dealer offered me $57.00 for them.  I have to tell you that I was a bit lacsadaisical and didn't scrutinize the way he evlautated them.  I have since adopted this aloof body language and have agreed with the dealer on many occassions to avoid a confrontational (head to head) rapport.  Remember this is important. If it means 59 cents here or a buck there...well don't get into it!

I said what if I trade for something you got?  He then said he'd give me a 15% discount on whatever I bought.  Well I'll tell you folks I saw the most gorgeous 1954 $1.00 ASTERISK AM note that I ever did lay eyes on!  Although it had super bright white borders (and dark green in hue-- like no other 54 I've ever seen), perfectly centered I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw he had EF + graded on it and a price of $175.00 This note (which I took out of its sleeve to inspect) could not possibly be anything less than AU. there were no folds, only a counting flick!  So with the 15% discount (and my useless coins as a trade) I paid the man $100.00

When I got home -- to look in my book it said this note was around $200 in AU.  Only 8000 of these beauties were ever printed and I saw (much worse) examples go on eBay for around $200 US.  Now this note goes for $275.00   It was actually only about a year or two before my trading experience that I decided to upgrade my collection.  Believe you me-- I am very happy with the results.  As soon as I joined eBay I auctioned every collected note off and have traded them for something a little more appealing.  The only exception to this is an $2.00 *RE  (1974) which I actually found many moons ago.

So that's my story.

doug62
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 01:46:44 am »

As I collect for the young ones, I'm not concerned with short term (20 year)value appreciation. Any investment which does not provide a cash return is pure speculation.
But if the kids sell their coin & paper collections to buy some hip hop album, I'll turn over in my grave  ;)

Seth, I picked up a nice VF/VF+ '75 $50, if you want it for face+$1, inbox me.

Login with username, password and session length