Author
Topic: Brick Research Protocol  (Read 5993 times)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« on: June 04, 2006, 05:37:54 pm »

I wonder if someone could elaborate on the proper way to break and document a brick so that the maximum amount of information is gathered.   If there is not already an established protocol perhaps we should discuss and create one.

Should the protocol include a photograph of the unbroken brick?

Certainly serial numbers, presumed inserts and the location within the brick should be recorded.
The printing year should be recorded.
What about front and back position numbers? are they useful in brick research?

Thanks for any comments!!

polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 08:42:11 pm »

I agree with you totally.  There are probally brick hunters who go through loads of bricks and because they do not have high/low/inserts/radars/errors, these may not be recorded.

Photgraphs I am not sure if they are needed.  They may help but not necessary.

Everything else you listed above should be included.

That is my opinion.

Polarbear

Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 11:13:25 pm »

Here is what a proper unbroken brick looks like from the bank. TAKE NO IMPOSTERS!

Many people refer to bundles of a hundred notes as a brick, not true. If the brick is not wrapped properly with white bands it may have been handled by the tellers and therefore any information gathered is irrelevant. Likewise, if the bundles have brown papers on them, especially with stamp imprints, they have definitely been handled by a branch member and once again the information is irrelevant. I just wanted to post this in order to clarify what bricks are and what they look like, many people - as I once was, are misinformed on bricks.

I certainly agree with eyevet about proper documentation and believe that when documenting one should include: serial numbers, presumed inserts and location, printed dates, front and back position numbers. The most important bricks to document are the one with inserts and ones that are mixed up in order. The other boring bricks are fairly senseless to copy down - maybe once or twice - but I mean when you go through several bricks and they all look the same why bother?
Enjoy the picture!
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 02:05:32 am »

Hey There,

Talk to Gary_T

I submit all information about bricks to him. Serial number ranges, QCIN notes, Possible Inserts or Known Inserts, Front/Back Plate Numbers and any anomolies or lack there of. Gary then compiles the information.

Also, take note of the "Super Brick" as I have named it. (Also for you viewing pleasure).

{http://www3.telus.net/cc-comp/ebay/Bricks.JPG}
{http://www3.telus.net/cc-comp/ebay/Sticker.JPG}

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 02:59:01 pm »

Hello all.

I do not work in a bank so help me out here.

The posts above suggest that even if the notes are wrapped in bundles of 100, they can still be considered "untampered" with (for lack of a better term.  My own experience suggests that bricks only come sealed with heavy plastic bindings in groups of 1000.  

Is it possible to get bricks in both formats and both be considered "untampered"?  Why is there two ways of distributing the notes?

As you can see below, this is what I would consider a brick:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 03:00:22 pm by kellyb »

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 03:01:41 pm »

This is how the brick was delivered:

Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 03:02:57 pm »

Before it was opened:

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 08:41:28 pm »

Wow, I have never seen a brick that was not split into 100 note bundles.

Where did you get it? Was it a bank order, BoC Order or from a private sale?  :-?

BTW, Has anyone been having trouble getting bricks these days? I am having a lot of trouble trying to find somewhere I can order them. The TD I was dealing with has decided to stop ordering them as it takes to much time and resources to deal with it.

What is everyone elses experiences?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 08:44:02 pm by X-Savior »

Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 09:05:02 pm »

BTW, Has anyone been having trouble getting bricks these days?
Yup! Has become a real expensive hastle recently, almost not worth continuing.

I mostly get my notes slit up in bundles of a 100 with a white band, these - for the most part - are untampered.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:06:21 pm by Oli1001 »
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 10:30:19 pm »

Nice photos of over $30k in hard cold cash - The Canadian Bank Note (CBN) Company and the British American Bank Note (BABN) each issue their notes with different style of bundles - if I recall, CBN issues in bundles of 100 (with Bank of Canada paper wraps on each 100 notes) whereas BABN issues in 1000 note bundles with plastic white wires around the notes.  

Just a word of caution to fellow members - although bundles/brick notes are nice to look at and nice to hold, too much information about where monies are located can cause problems down the road - ie. break and enters, etc.   You never know exactly who is watching and viewing the information on this site, and with some members on this forum as eBay dealers - most sellers use their home as mailing addresses - this may be an invitation to some unwanted attention.  There have been some members on this forum whom had their homes broken into and collections stolen over the past years.  Just be cautious.

Smile from your heart.  ;D
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 10:46:46 pm »

Nice photos

& good advice re: your security.  Never take it for granted!  Unfortunately this new technology does have its drawbacks in terms of being a portal for the unsavory few who wish to take what is not theirs.  To them we're just "suckers" asking for trouble.  I know a tough paradigm shift-- but just try to put yourself in a criminal's shoes and think like them for a minute!

On a lighter note: I've given up brick searching due to the hassles-- which I'm sure made my branch all the more happy.   I guess though it does make me less a target to be no longer carting out a ton of cash!  This was the number one reason they kept bogging me down with orders, then came the trashy notes (their worse they could get), and so on.  Oh well, at least I got to search a few good ol 2003 bricks (which were in lousy shape!).  And my bricks (BABN) did come in 1000.

Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 11:22:06 pm »

I agree, personally any money I go through returns to the bank in less than half an hour - due to security reasons. I never let money sit at my house, it just makes me uncomfortable, I let the bank worry about keeping it safe ;).
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 12:20:07 am »

then came the trashy notes (their worse they could get)
 >:(

I agree. I decided to just ordered $2000 in $5 notes to see what I could get. They were HORRIBLE notes. I mean I have NEVER seen notes in such bad shape. I know the Bank does not like us but this was a real slap in the face.  :o

Also, very good advice about the security. I do not keep the money at my house either. It's no safer then at the bank. Keeping Bricks in your home is just inviting disaster. Lets all play safe!

I have started fresh at another nearby branch. This time I am being very cautious and VERY polite about it. I am going try and hit them up for some bricks as well. I think what happens is the Banks are ok with it at first but with repetitive orders frequently it starts to become a hassle and it creates a lot of extra work that they don't like.

Is there anyone here who works at a bank? I would really like to hear the other side of the story. It could help create a better relationship between the Collectors and the Branches.

I would if you have a good deal going don't abuse it. Keep things slow and friendly. Otherwise things can go down hill faster than you can snap your fingers.  >:(

If Anyone in Edmonton is Brick Searching PM me Please. I have some useful info.

I am done my Ranting!

Thx!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 02:01:17 am by X-Savior »

Login with username, password and session length