Author
Topic: What Would Happen If The Queen Passed-Away?  (Read 6092 times)
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« on: August 15, 2006, 02:19:01 pm »

What do you think would happen if the Queen passed away tomorrow?  :-?

Would they recall the $20 right away? Would they push ahead the new series?  :-/

How long do you think they would keep the current $20 notes in circulation?  :-?

What about Price William? A Note with him would really spur excitement.  :)

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
Bob
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 03:29:53 pm »

What do you think would happen if the Queen passed away tomorrow?  :-?

Would they recall the $20 right away?
I doubt very much if they would do anything "right away".  Remember the late King died in February 1952 but the notes with his portrait remained in issue for over two and a half years.  It was September, 1954 before the notes bearing the portrait of the new monarch came out.  Even then, the 1937 issue notes were not recalled, but were allowed gradually to wear out in circulation.
At any rate, the Queen looks remarkably fit for eighty, and her mother nearly made it to 102.  She could well beat the record set by Queen Victoria for the longest reign.  A note with Prince William would be very nice, though, and it would be great if the BoC would consider such a note for a commemorative issue - but they won't.  1935 was a long time ago, politically speaking.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 03:37:01 pm »

Very Interesting.... :)

I have always wondered what the procedure would be if this happened.  :o
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 03:37:11 pm by X-Savior »

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 03:53:22 pm »

This whole discussion is purely hypothetical, and largely based on what happened over 50 years ago. A LOT has changed since then, and security of banknotes is a much greater concern than ever before. Furthermore, Canada is politically a very different country than it was in 1952.

Finally, this whole discussion centers on Canada retaining the monarchy should QEII pass away. If we choose not to, then that introduces a whole new set of discussions.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 05:58:15 pm »

Purely hypothetical, but to some degree realistic. None of us know "the day".
There is generally a lag of a few years, but since the journey series does not only feature the queen, the question becomes, would they integrate the new monarch onto the $20 while keeping the rest of the notes the same (which is what I think would happen),
OR
Would the new monarch get "his own" series of notes? Like a sudden end to the Journeys perhaps.

As far as I can tell, the issue of separating from the monarchy is really a non-issue for Canada at this time (or at least on the back burner). Wouldn't the security features carry over to the next note style anyway?  All that would be changin realy is the picture and maybe some minor details.

Anyway, the bottom line is that we all gotta go sometime. I think they would introduce one of the Princes on the $20, and then after a  few years when the journey runs its course, then there may be some changes in who is on what bill.  Maybe prince Harry/William wants to be on the $100?  ;)  On that note, do they even have any say in the matter?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 06:02:27 pm by hudsonab »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 06:09:02 pm »

My comment about security is in partial reference to the Bank of Canada possibly increasing the frequency of new series to continually introduce the latest security features and stay one step ahead of counterfeiters. With any new note series, all the security features can't just be placed in the exact same spot... the notes are redesigned and everything moves around to some degree. Designing banknotes is a very complex procedure.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
suretteda
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 06:44:05 pm »

[size=14]The Royal Family Her Majesty the Queen Home is website[/size]

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page412.asp

Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_II_of_the_United_Kingdom
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 06:48:40 pm by suretteda »
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 08:08:38 pm »

I don't think it will be Prince Charles on the new $20's.  A note only 6 inches in length could not possibly accommodate those ears.  Most likely Prince William will take the throne and the BofC would do as it did in 1952 and leave the current series in place for a couple of years until they could design new plates for all denominations.

Technically they would only have to change the face plate of the $20 note, but the BofC has never introduced a new monarch on its notes without also launching a new series - but you never know, they might just redesign the $20 note.

I just hope I never live to see the day when the following portrait appears on ANY banknote in any country...  :o :( ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 08:50:24 pm »

Queen Elizabeth II will remain on our currency until she passes away.  I think that she will outlive our current Canadian Journey series of banknotes and continue to appear on the next series, which will I predict will appear around 2015.  After she dies the new monarch will be the current Prince of Wales (Any ideas what his royal name will be?  King George VII maybe?)  I just can't imagine his mug on any Canadian paper money.  I think that another former PM will replace the queen on the $20 at that time.

I imagine that there would be some degree of public outcry if the reigning monarch were ever completely removed from our paper currency.  The first time a non-member of the royal family ever appeared on a widely curculating Bank of Canada note was in 1971 on the $10.  Do any forum members who were around at that time remember any controversy or public outcry over that move?

(Yes, I know that Macdonald and Laurier appeared on high value 1935 and 1937 notes, but I doubt many members of the public ever saw them.)

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 08:56:54 pm »

I imagine that there would be some degree of public outcry if the reigning monarch were ever completely removed from our paper currency.  The first time a non-member of the royal family ever appeared on a widely curculating Bank of Canada note was in 1971 on the $10.  Do any forum members who were around at that time remember any controversy or public outcry over that move?

(Yes, I know that Macdonald and Laurier appeared on high value 1935 and 1937 notes, but I doubt many members of the public ever saw them.)
Many Dominion of Canada notes featured governor generals and/or other prominent individuals or figures (Cartier, Britannia).

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 09:36:14 pm »

Many Dominion of Canada notes featured governor generals and/or other prominent individuals or figures (Cartier, Britannia).

Just as an aside here...I believe the 1912 $5 "Train" note is the first and only Government note that did NOT feature a portrait (not even Britannia or an "allegorical" figure).  Was there any outcry over this note having only a train on the front and only counters and lathework on the back?  :-/

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 11:09:49 pm »

Just as an aside here...I believe the 1912 $5 "Train" note is the first and only Government note that did NOT feature a portrait (not even Britannia or an "allegorical" figure).

There was also no portrait on the 1872 $100.  There was just an engraving of the (then) parliament buildings, the same engraving that later appeared on the back of the 1967 $1.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com

Login with username, password and session length