Author
Topic: North Korean "Supernote"  (Read 4209 times)
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« on: August 16, 2006, 11:32:26 am »

Did anyone else read the article in the July 23rd edition of The New York Times Magazine?

Very interesting read!  It's called "No Ordinary Counterfeit" and discusses how the Secret Service have evidence that North Korea is producing incredibly realistic US currency.  

I went to their website to see if it was available in some kind of archive, but for some reason I couldn't get anywhere; may be a browser incompatibility issue.  In any case, I have the article and have made a PDF if anyone is interested.  Just send me a PM.

Kelly

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
doug62
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 02:47:34 pm »

"No Ordinary Counterfeit" and discusses how the Secret Service have evidence that North Korea is producing incredibly realistic US currency.  

This is the reason aways back that I was surprised that the BOC did/does not keep a closer tab of notes outstanding ie: by series.

A bloodless way to "attack" a foreign government is through their monetary system (Hyper-inflation). As Canada moves through this century, the tarsands and base metal riches of this country will increasingly become more desirable by others, the time and point which at any cost is conjecture.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 03:42:56 pm »

Here is a copy of the article:
http://www2.gol.com/users/coynerhm/no_ordinary_counterfeit_by_steph.htm

I tried getting it direct from the NYT site, but it requires payment to see anything more than 50 words.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 01:17:36 am »

That's a fascinating article (thanks Brent for posting it) which raises many important questions.  
One thing that stands out in my mind was an "unofficial" comment made by an anonimous BOC official.  He said that we should expect to see series of notes be revised every 5 years, or less, as printing technology improves.  In other words national banks will always strive to stay ahead of the counterfeiters.   To know that wayward countries, or anti-American billionaires, could be at the bottom of such illicit activities, seems to suggest that future governments, treasurers can't take anything for granted these days.

Login with username, password and session length