Author
Topic: Withdrawal of the Birds $100s  (Read 6320 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: March 15, 2004, 01:28:50 pm »

I emailed the Bank of Canada recently asking about how actively the Birds $100s will be withdrawn.  The response should give some indication about how many Journey $100s we will see in coming weeks.

My email:
How quickly/actively will the Birds $100 notes be recalled from circulation and replaced with Journey $100s? Will the recall be
something similar to the manner in which the Birds $5s and $10s are replaced in that they are only pulled when they are unfit for
circulation, or will it be something much swifter along the lines of
pulling every Birds $100 that comes into a bank and only dispensing Journey $100 notes?

Response:
As you suggested in your e-mail, the Bank of Canada plans to remove the Birds of Canada series $100 notes in a manner similar to the way the Birds of Canada $5 and $10 notes are being replaced. As they are received from chartered banks in unissuable note deposits for processing at our Operations Centres, received $100 notes will be withdrawn from circulation and replaced with the new Canadian Journey $100 note.

So... Given that the average lifetime of a $100 note is roughly 8 years, we will likely be seeing Birds $100s in circulation for quite some time.  This is enough (for me) to refute any rumours that stocks  constituting half of the circulating $100s have been printed and ready for immediate release.

Comments?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 01:32:11 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 04:02:01 pm »

that's good-- my friend is coming up in July from the USA and wants to get a BIRDS $100-note.  Now I know that he will be able to quite easily.
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 11:11:34 am »

Jason,

I recommend that you go to get a Birds 100 now for your friend.  The longer you wait, the likelihood of getting one in UNC or thereabouts is less with each passing month.

Cheers,
Dean.

Jason
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 03:17:23 pm »

That's a good point--however, I still need $100 to cover the cost.
hockey99man
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 08:43:09 pm »

Hi,

Another alternative might be to wait for the $100 "Lasting Impressions" sets due out shortly.

Cheers
jonathan
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 03:30:15 pm »

I have noticed that banks out here in St. John's, NL are still distributing Birds $100's when they should be withdrawn from circulation and replaced with the new Journey $100's.  Could you please explain why some banks are still giving out the birds $100's when they should be withdrawn immediately?

Thanks, Jonathan
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 04:05:46 pm »

Jonathan,

Please refer to my original post where I quote a message from the Bank of Canada.

The Birds $100s will be removed only when they are unfit for circulation.  Even Birds $100s that get returned to the Bank of Canada will be recirculated if they're in decent enough condition.  ...just like the Birds $5s and Birds $10s, which by now are almost all rags and are disappearing quick.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
54devs
  • Only money will help me now !!!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 08:48:54 am »

Brent, I really appreciate the legwork that you did on this issue.

This will give me an opportunity to start a small collection of the $100 bird series before they are gone for good

Thanks
54devs
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 08:49:59 am by 54devs »

Login with username, password and session length