Author
Topic: Bank Of Upper Canada $1 note 1820  (Read 9044 times)
floyd
« on: August 31, 2006, 05:32:40 pm »

Hi guys hope you can help me out on this one.  I have a Bank Of Upper Canada $1 note issued on January 1st 1820 (printed in 1819) in Kingston.  Number on the bill is B No. 31167.  Can't quite make out the signatures.  It is in very good condition have attached a picture of the bill.

{http://home.cogeco.ca/~trekenkebay/1820-bill-in-sleeve-small.jpg}

Here is also a link to a larger image of this bill http://home.cogeco.ca/~trekenk/1820%20bill%20in%20sleeve.jpg.  Thanks in advance for any help on the value of this.
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 05:49:52 pm »

Dear Floyd

Very nice, your note has a book value of about $150 if graded VG and $200 as a FINE.  Judging by the scan I would say the note falls between VG and FINE so you should be able to achieve 150 minimum. I don’t think these sell for a lot more than book but it's still very decent.

Kid

KC's Canadian Currency
floyd
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 06:11:07 pm »

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I'm from Kingston and this bill has come home. Any tips on the best way to store this bill would be Appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 06:14:31 pm by floyd »
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 07:01:28 pm »

Most coin shops will sell plastic sleeves to protect the note. Try buying the ones without any acid or PVC. Secondly I would store the note where the temperature stays consistent and is not too humid. To protect it against humidity you may buy small selica patches that do just that.

Other than that it's just a matter of not handling the note too much with bare fingers as the dirt and oil will transfer and make it look darker with time.

Hope this helps  ;)

KC's Canadian Currency
floyd
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 07:36:41 pm »

Thanks for the advice, humidity could not be worse anywhere than Kingston, Ontario.

Login with username, password and session length