Author
Topic: Called all main banks  (Read 7632 times)
cdn_guy
« on: March 16, 2004, 12:15:16 pm »

This morning I called all the main branches for the banks in town here and no one knows (or cares) about the new hundred. I am feeling a little disappointed since I took the day off tomorrow to go around and find some of these notes. Does anyone know for sure if their bank will have any? Does anyone fel we may not see any tomorrow unless it is on the news?
???
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 02:53:44 pm »

Cdn_Guy: Judy will have them on Friday.  She called me yesterday with the news.

The TDCT branch that I use will be getting some money in on Thurs and Fri, but who knows whether they'll be the new $100s.

Most other branches I've spoken to are just as ignorant as what you have seen.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
jonathan
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 04:54:23 pm »

I called the main branches of the CIBC and Scotiabank earlier this afternoon and they said that they won't get the new $100's until possibly Thursday.

I think I know why this is...

The official release date for the new $100 is March 17th, but that does not necessarily mean that all banks across Canada will get them on that date.  The release date of March 17th is when the new $100's will be put on armoured trucks and airplanes, and that means that some, if not, most banks will receive their shipments of the new $100's on Thursday or Friday.  In other words, it will take a few days to get distributed throughout Canada, so that should give me something to look forward to on Thursday.

I should probably think about this theory for when the new $50's and $20's are released later this year.

I think this theory was true for the new $5's nearly two years ago...  I didn't get my first new $5's until the next day.

I guess I can finally get some sleep tonight and prepare for Thursday...

Jonathan
Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 05:22:32 pm »

Well I remeber getting 20 $5 at 11:00 on the date they were release. And if I'm not mistaken a teller lost his job for posting a scan of the new $5 in here before the official release date. So this means that most bank already had them in there vault. I don't see why this time it would be different  ??? The only thing I can see is that $100 bill are less in demand and maybe not all bank needed new one for this wednesday.

I sure will be going to see tomorrow at the bank if they have some, if not then I'll order some...

Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 06:57:13 pm »

I was in the same boat as Detonate when the $5 and $10's were released:  Wandered up to the CIBC on the day of release and they had numerous quantities of the new bills.  The only thing I thought was strange  (in hindsight, it makes sense), was that they limited the number of the new notes you could buy.  The tellers were instructed to distribute them to as many customers as they could.  The Bank of Canada wanted wide distribution on the day of release.  Proceedure may be different this time because of the large denomination, but I would expect the exact same M.O. for the $20 and maybe the $50.

Guess we will find out tomorrow.  ;)

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
smudger-smith
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 07:33:45 pm »

I was amazed how many tellers didn`t even know about the new $100!! ???
 Isn`t this their line of work :-/
 Just got news that the Main Branch of the Bank Of Montreal will have bills Wednesday for release.
 Lucky for us in Edmonton.
we will find out soon enough.
canada-hongkong
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 11:09:39 am »

I stepped into a TD Canada Trust branch this morning at 8, I got it, but unfortunately, the teller would only let me have one of them, the note is very nice, holding it in my hand, the hologram strip is a nice feature along with the security thread, however, I'm not going to microwave it yet.
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 12:03:51 pm »

Congratulations!

YOU are the "first to receive a Journey one hundred note" winner!  

Wan't very hard, was it.

What are the details?  Serial #, prefix, signatures, etc.

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 01:33:31 pm »

OK, I've called every bank in town and not a single one has the new $100s.  That's annoying.

Oh well... Patience until at least Friday will yeild treasures.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 02:54:02 pm »

No luck here in Gatineau, I've call 6 banks and visited 2 others no one has them  :( The main one where I get all my new notes told me they might not get them until the end of march  :o

Maybe I'll have to buy one from eBay I'm not that patient...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3903835588&category=3429

dtcanada
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 03:19:04 pm »

That's odd..  I visited my local bank yesterday, and the branch manager promised me she keep me one bill since I wont be able to visit the bank today..  but she was pretty sure she get it by Tuesday afternoon and release it early morning on March 17th..  btw..  the local branch is Royal Bank on Spadina Rd and St. clair..  Forest Hill, Toronto..

Login with username, password and session length