Author
Topic: 1923 $1 over ebay $15??  (Read 7467 times)
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« on: September 18, 2006, 01:19:53 am »

Hey all,

Just picked this one up over ebay I olny paid $15 for a 1923 $1 good deal? he said the note was in FINE the book would then be $55??

Arthur

[attachment deleted by admin]

CPMS Member 1564
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 02:31:12 am »

Looks like it is torn through the McCavour signature and seems more like VG  but you did quite well, you can't get a 1923 note for much less.

Gary_T
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 03:13:07 pm »

Good cribbage note...   add up the numbers and it totals 31!!! :D

buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 08:54:29 pm »

For a low grade low cost note it doesn't really matter if you like the note. Personally for me if there ius any pen work on the note I deduct at minimum a full grade.

I really like the colored seal '23 $ 1's.

If I were you I'd try and stay away from anything less than VF from that issue. Decent VF's are still resonably affordable as the big jump comes when you go to EF
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 10:01:46 pm »

I agree with Buxvet.  There is a certain minimum grade that you want to try to get in older issues.  That's a blue seal so its pretty rare..but if it were a black seal it wouldn't be such a hot deal.

I used to think that whenever I got a note below BV it was a great deal.  I've since revised that assessment since selling any particular note is not the same as buying.  Whenever I tried selling those "bargains" I learned the hard way (exactly what kind of deal I got).  

Mind you...at times these cheapies we get from eBay can sometimes be good "traders" at shows and when the price is that good (provided it doesn't have a tear as well as writing on it) than you are up in the long run.  You simply cannot trust how most sellers grade their notes unless they're very established reliable collectors/dealers we know through CPMS (ie: Sudzee, Tom, etc) I doubt that's a fine.

buxvet
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 07:42:19 pm »

Take this note for instance, which is currently auctioning on Ebay. Seller claims he thinks it's a EF. From the scan I doubt it. However it's certainly not less than VF. Maybe VF25-30. Book value for a VF is $ 100. This one maybe worth $ 150. I bet not much more than $ 75 will buy this one. Add to that the $ 15 you already spent and for another $ 60 you have a note that is worth $ 150 instead of maybe $ 20-25. And it's a nice resaleable item. Half decent grade and an affordable example for most collectors.

This all is on the assumption it sells around $ 75, maybe $ 100 max

buxvet
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 07:43:18 pm »

Of course this note is the same cat #
Close in serial # too

Login with username, password and session length