Author
Topic: 0000003  (Read 7368 times)
happy_philosopher
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: September 29, 2006, 01:01:52 pm »

Just received this in the mail this morning.

J/E0000003 (grades EF/AU)

Okay well I hope I didn't over pay by  tooOoOO too much :-/  But I was looking for a nice Beattie Coyne $20 and well needless to say I did not have the will to let this one pass by...

What's it worth?

[attachment deleted by admin]
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 01:59:11 pm »

Wow!  I like this note.  So well centered.  Nice white wide margins... at EF/AU almost seems under-graded.  I hate to ask but was it pressed?

I would think its worth whatever you paid for it.  How can you go wrong with a high grade low numbered note like that?  The important thing is to hang onto it.  If you were to sell it tomorrow...well maybe you might not do so well.  Hold onto it for a while...and I'm sure there will be enough demand to make back your investment and then some.

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 02:05:50 pm »

I saw this with the buy it now on ebay and was very tempted because it would have went very well with my Beattie/Coyne $1 but I don't the money right now.

I think it sold for a reasonable price, there was a # 0000007 1954 $1 in VF that sold on ebay for $200 U.S.

I just got a new computer and so I can't resize the scan of my note at this time but it goes so well with yours.

Gary_T
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 02:18:57 pm »

Very nice note!  :o It says in the Charlton book that the note is worth $275 in UNC. You may be able to sell it for that or even more. Like walktothewater said "hung on to it" If you can hold on to it, you will be able to sell for more.
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 02:23:58 pm »

Very nice note it has to be worth $350 maybe $400 to bad its note UNC :( May I ask what you paid? :-/

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
happy_philosopher
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 02:38:39 pm »

Wow!  I like this note.  So well centered.  Nice white wide margins... at EF/AU almost seems under-graded.  I hate to ask but was it pressed?

It was listed as AU which is a fair grade. I said EF/AU to be on the safe side. No folds. Just a few (>=3) crinkles shy of Unc really. Doesn't seem to be pressed either. Slightly undersize though. But I've bought "Unc" notes that were much worse!

happy_philosopher
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 03:15:05 pm »

I feel better that I wasn't the only one tempted by this note and really glad Gary_T didn't get to it first!

I also saw that #7 note a while ago but I thought this was alot more interesting being higher denom, higher grade and lower number. Is it reasonable for a #3 to be worth more than #7 or is that just wishful thinking??

I've seen several low numbers <10 mostly on 1's 2's and 5's and mostly VF's and all around that price ~$200-$250 but this is the first one in my collection. It wasn't so much the number itself that did it, more that it so nicely filled an empty spot in my book.

Here's the back: Am I dreaming or is that the ghost of #J/E0000002 on there??

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 09:50:18 pm »

A superb note by any standards, especially in Beattie-Coyne format! Just gotta luv those WIDE EVEN MARGINS!!

Other #0000003 Beattie-Coyne notes were of course issued, i.e., with prefixes F/E, G/E, H/E, I/E, K/E, L/E & M/E. However, whether or not those other #0000003 notes have survived to the present day is another matter entirely.

I came to Canada from Britain in 1968, at which time the Beattie-Rasminsky signature notes had already been in circulation for six or seven years. I found the pictorial designs on the backs of the 1954 Canadian notes to be a true joy to behold in comparison with the very conservative and rather dull Bank of England note designs. I recall that even in 1968 the $20 denomination was the most commonly encountered note in circulation, just as it is today. I have no way of telling exactly, but I would estimate that Happy_Philosopher's J/E 0000003 note was placed into circulation around 1959 which would therefore make it about 47 years old!

I owned a serial #0000001 $1 1954 Beattie-Rasminsky note in Unc at one time (can't remember the prefix though) and I sold it for $200 at the monthly Ottawa coin & stamp show sometime around 1980. The buyer subsequently reported that his apartment had been broken into and that his collection of paper money and coins had been stolen (the apartment manager was strongly suspected). That same note is presumably out there somewhere right now and its present owner would have no idea whatsoever that he/she is in possession of "stolen property"!  If only walls could talk .......
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 10:32:34 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length