Author
Topic: HPA-Another scarce prefix???  (Read 11714 times)
JB-2007
« on: October 03, 2006, 10:36:43 pm »

So what are your thoughts. HPA is out, its been out for a few months now but really not many reports. Could we be yet again dealing with another rare/incompletely released prefix?
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 11:05:18 pm »

With about 6 weeks remaining, I think that HPB might surface, and one lucky dog is going to get a pile of them.  Maybe even HPC.   Remember how fast BTA-BTF came out.  REAL fast.   Everytime I get my brick of $5s I just cross my fingers.... but no luck.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 11:19:44 pm »

I will keep my eyes peeled here in Victoria- HPA and up eh? Time to visit my local bank and buy a bundle or two, and to keep my eyes peeled at work.

Fenian

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
JB-2007
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 11:44:58 pm »

I have never found HPA yet, so maybe i will hang onto to it when and of course IF i ever find one. I got an HOZ the other day so im getting closer. There seems to be a fair amount of HOZs around because there were two members that did acquire bricks of them. But yeah, HPA was released in April, so far only two notes reported. I think this is going to be a rare one!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 11:48:18 pm by JB105 »
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 03:56:07 am »

Yes, even with all the searching I do I still have not gotten my hands on any HPA yet.....

Both sitings were in Montreal so it is possible only their wearehouse got them (If so limited). I agree witht he possibility of HPB... HPC I am not holding my breath. HOZ is still very alive and being shipped. But there is WAY too much old stuff surfacing now.... This has me convinced we are already near the end. I had 2 sealed blocks of HON Bricks shoe up as well as that many in HOM. This is a VERY interesting find....  :)

The fact of it is that no one will really know until Nov 15th what will happen.... We can only speculate.  :-/

« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 03:57:27 am by X-Savior »

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 12:33:29 pm »

I may have to agree that HPA may be the scarce prefix. I have yet to see any HPA anywhere, but certainly have seen up to HOZ. Last week I picked up 2 bricks and they were HNS believe it or not. Did find a few HNR inserts which was nice. So it certainly looks like they are clearing out the vaults.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 12:35:27 pm by Manada »

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 03:33:32 pm »

I doubt that the BoC will pull the old fives out of circulation until they are worn out. The ten was pulled because so many counterfeits were found which was never a problem with the fives. The banks could still be issuing CBN prefixes until the end of the year. My guess is that BABN has printed the new issue and it will start with AOG or APA. Completing AOF would have been interesting since it would be a great changeover but I doubt that would happen.
Gary
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 04:07:32 pm »

The Bank may not issue an order to immediately withdraw all old $5s, but I highly doubt they will distribute bricks of old notes to banks after the new notes are released. Further, any notes that actually make it back to the Bank of Canada will likely have the old series notes pulled and new notes issued instead. The question is whether or not the Bank will issue an order instructing all banks to actively withdraw the 2002 $5s.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
JB-2007
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 04:34:19 pm »

My question has been answered, HPA is not going to be as rare as we first possibly thought as HudsonAb managed to get a whole pile of them. Something that was not seen in those famous rare 2001 $10 prefixes.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 06:30:32 pm »

Agreed...

HPA May not be the end...  

Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 06:39:34 pm »

ya but for $15 you have to get one I think he is running out so I dont think that there was a BIG pile I think it will be a rarer prefix.

Just my thoughts.

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 07:20:44 pm »

The HPA that don't go, are staying with me. Just like my BEPs (Except I actually got a brick of those ones (took them back to the bank :(  ) ).
I guess time will tell.
In addition: of the bundle, only a small amount are GEM UNC. Like I mean PERFECT.  Those who have contacted are getting them, and I am nearly out. So amount of GEM UNC HPAs is alot less than what I originally even thought .
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 10:17:01 pm by hudsonab »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 10:34:06 pm »

for $15 you have to get one

Very True, For $15 it is not a bad deal anyways. :)

With 1 month to go we are getting close to crunch time....  :-/

I say get the HPA while you can and see what happens...If HPB comes along just get them too. Either way both prefixes should carry a slightly higher trend in the long run.

Only Time Will Tell!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 10:34:22 pm by X-Savior »

JB-2007
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 10:40:40 pm »

I would say this is a 50/50 shot here. Will they be a hard find, well they wont be like the BEK BEL or BER thats forsure! Perhaps they might be similar to the BEP issue? But when this thread started we only had two reports then suddenly Hudson got hold of a bundle. Perhaps we will see more spring up soon but i think HPA will be the final prefix for the series.
gus5pin
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 04:49:22 pm »

The brick I received last week was HNW so there must still be alot more old prefixes left at the BOC. That brick was complete start to end. But HNW shesshhh.........

Denis

Login with username, password and session length