Author
Topic: BC-33b  --  Three mint-y consecutive not  (Read 7442 times)
Lakookoo
« on: October 06, 2006, 08:49:29 pm »

How much does a run of consecutive numbers influence the value of bills?

I have 3 1954 Beattie-Coyne $20, BC-33b, serial numbers D/E 4910053, D/E 4910054, and D/E 4910055, all in what appears to my (novice's) eye to be UNC or at the very least AU.  I may be able to post a scan if I can figure out how to do it.  (Of course, first I have to actually scan the bills...)

Charlton says that, if the notes are indeed UNC, then each one is worth approximately $175.00 CDN.  Is there any increase in value were these to be offered as a lot?

Thanks.
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 11:45:32 pm »

Yes, if you have notes in order it will put the value up. I don't know how much more they are worth but someone here should be able to tell you. So if you are going to sell these 3 notes, it would be best to sell them all together. Its hard to find consecutive notes in 1954.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 11:46:51 pm by Mikeysonfire »
happy_philosopher
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 10:50:02 am »

Lakookoo, those sound like some nice $20 bills. The newest catalogue lists them at $310 each in Unc! Although consecutive numbers can be hard to find and often do increase the value of notes, the benefit can sometimes be largely theoretical. Your problem might be in  finding a buyer who is willing to buy all three notes.

I know I would love to have 3 consecutive Devil's Face $20 in my collection, but I don't have have $1000 to spend on it  :(. Even if I did have that much to spend, I would probably go towards one really rare note worth that much rather than three relatively common notes.

Maybe I'm wrong but you might  have an easier time finding individual buyers for the notes... Even though it always seems like such a shame to break up consecutive notes  :-/
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 10:50:58 am by happy_philosopher »
Lakookoo
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 08:33:53 pm »

Okay, I'm trying to post some scans

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakookoo
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 08:35:16 pm »

Sorry that these are so BIG -- I guess that I should have scanned them  separately

Lakookoo
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 08:41:30 pm »

Sorry about the wildly disparate picture sizes  :-? It's been a while since I used the scanner and the image editing software and I had a hard time getting clarity and small file size at the same time.  I'm not sure that I succeeded, really.

I appreciate all your comments.  Are the scans clear enough to tell the condition of the notes?  Do they look like AU to you guys?  

It does seem a shame to break up a consecutive run . . . but perhaps it would be easier to sell them individually.
Lakookoo
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 08:53:05 pm »

Mikeysonfire
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 09:55:41 pm »

It would be more easy to sell them individually. But would be a shame to break them up.  Not everyday you see consecutive notes from 1954. By looking at the pictures you posted, the notes seems to be in AU+. Maybe UNC, but you need to hold them close in your hands to tell 100% if its 100% UNC. :) Nice notes! I like them alot. Maybe I will win the lotto and i can buy them off of you.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 09:58:45 pm by Mikeysonfire »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 04:05:33 pm »

The "purest" notion in every collector's heart would advise you to keep them in their consecutive originality.  However, over and over again, we often see consecutive notes sold for a modest discount because (as many members have indicated) its hard to find a buyer willing to pay a premium (or even the book of the combined lot!)  More often than not, consecutive runs often go for a discount on the open market, instead of the premium expected (unless they're certified gems). The most common exception to this rule is when a) the notes are low denomination ($1 to $10) b) they're of a particularly rare series (eg Osborne 37's), or they're c) rare replacements/errors, etc.

Those look like lovely notes, and everyone likes DF's, so good luck to you.

Login with username, password and session length