Author
Topic: Need some help  (Read 6690 times)
sabrina
« on: October 10, 2006, 04:27:35 am »

I have a full sheet of uncut canadian dollar bills CBN with 4 notes across and 10 notes deep. (never been touched as its been in a frame since my grandfather got it years ago)

HOw do i know what this is worth? Can someone help me?

Edited b/c i just realized u may need more information...

The serial number that i can see is

ECW1962863 (this is only one of them)
as far as the year, im going to have to wait till i go over to my grandfathers house tommorow b/c im working off a picture i took....i'll have to take a look in person its too hard to see off this picture.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 04:40:05 am by sabrina »
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 04:35:41 am »

sabrina
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 04:41:42 am »

$550.00?

I'm unsure what to do with the, my grandfather has given them to me, im not sure if should list them on ebay or hang on to them....will the value keep increasing?
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 08:35:49 am »

These would fetch half the catalog value on ebay, so you would do well to fetch $250-275 for this.  Not sure if there is that much demand for these to let the price keep rising. However, this is one of the scarcer prefixes.
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 12:14:21 pm »

Jasper is right. You will not get more then $300 if you put it on ebay. I think the best thing to do is to hang it up on a wall. Not everyday you go to someones house and you see a sheet of paper money on the wall. :D
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 01:56:29 pm »

It depends:

If you want to keep it as a momento of your grandfather (for sentimental reasons)-- than on the wall it should go.  They would look nice on the wall and I'm sure that's why people buy them in the first place (its not usually serious collectors).

Remember that the longer its on the wall the chances of it fading, or deteriorating in condition are higher.  The value of these will likely go down in the future.  As stated by others here, the BV may be $500 but you'd be lucky to see $300.  That's because sheets aren't convenient to collect.  The demand for them will always remain iffy.  

If you want to start collecting paper money-- I'd put it on eBay ASAP and then put the proceeds into different kinds of notes.  If you are already a collector than I'm sure you've got a  good idea what you want.  If not, then go to the library and take a look at the Charlton guide to Canadian Government paper money (Ed: R J Graham), read up on how to collect, and see which series interest you.  

Good luck!

stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 10:33:01 pm »

I think sabrina is not a collector and would rather have the money you could always advertise it on the trading post and save the ebay fees at least its free and if it does not sell then bay it if you like but as mentioned before by my compadres if it has been hanging on the wall for an extended period of time the ink will fade which in turns lowers the value maybe a closer pic on an end note might show if the notes have faded
sabrina
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 01:28:49 am »

Thanks for the comments everyone....I'm not a bill collector by any means but after reading through the forum it kinda sounds interesting, i think i will put these bills on ebay and then see if i can start a little collection of sorts. Thanks for all the responses!

Login with username, password and session length