Author
Topic: Not really a W.I.W...  (Read 7487 times)
merciful
« on: October 26, 2006, 05:08:18 pm »

... but more of a "how should I approach this?"

I noticed a little box on the table at my folks' house the other day, with the address of a small-time local stamp and coin shop on the top, so I inquired of my dad what he was up to. He said that he had some old "silver dollars and Kennedys" that he wanted to get rid of, having recently cleaned out his safe-deposit box. I told him that he should have me take care of it, that I'd manage a better price somewhere than he would at the chop-shop; and there the matter rested 'til today, when the box was delivered to me. The coins are of no concern (neither to you nor me) but the notes are pretty impressive, at least to me. I haven't inspected serials for neat patterns and such yet, but there seems to be some well-preserved stuff: 20 consecutive 1954 $2 notes that are almost all better than AU (I'm strongly tempted to say 18 or 19 are UNC), a number of (some consecutive) AU/AU+ 1954 $1 notes, about 15 1937 $100s in VF+, a couple of absolutely perfect (from my inexpert POV) multi-coloured $10 and $5 notes, and some assorted other VF (or so) 1937 stuff.

He wants me to render this into cash. Not for any good reason: he's made of money; probably he's just considering encroaching mortality, and thinking that he'll be saving me some effort after he passes on. If I can prevail upon him to seal the stuff back in a vault, perhaps I'll have it to pass on to my daughter. But if he really wants me to carry on, how should I do it? Buy a Charlton's and start piecing it out on eBay; or try to sell the mass of it to a reputable dealer like Colonial Acres? It's not like he needs the money to live, but a substantial portion of his fortune was accumulated through good sense and good management, and if I'm going to do this for him I'd like to do it right.

Well, that was long. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 08:19:25 pm by merciful »
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 05:33:48 pm »

I think you should arm yourself with the latest Charlton and do some research. This will give you a better idea what your notes are worth and what route to take with selling them.

Lots of luck!
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 05:35:56 pm »

Oh!, and by the way, WELCOME!
merciful
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:01:35 pm »

Oh!, and by the way, WELCOME!

Thanks! And yes, I think that's what I'll do. One way or another, it'll be fun, and I still may be able to convince him to hold tight.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 08:16:50 pm »

Since you likely live in a city (or near one) why not just go to your local library once you've recorded the serial numbers of all your father's notes and borrow their Charlton Guide?  BTW: you might also record the initials of the signatures just to be on the safe side.  Take a modest guess at the grades, and then post them on eBay.  With the exception of the $100 (you might want to put a reserve on them) I would start the prices low and generate interest.  You can't lose.

I wouldn't get too worked up over what they fetch...as you say...its not as if he's hurting.  If they're as nice as you say than they should get a pretty decent price.  Anyway it goes... you'll do better than if you go to a dealer.  The only exception to this is if you know a good dealer, and you're a collector yourself, and you want to trade up (for a rarer note).  Depending on the "collectiblelity" of your dad's notes-- they might make a deal for you.  But in all likelihood the notes will be regular issue and unremarkable (your dad just put them away randomly right?) so eBay would be the best way to go.  

merciful
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 08:34:08 pm »

Thanks for the ideas, very sound. I did order a Charlton's, though: I think I'll get him involved in the process of the research, too, for the fun of it.

The notes appear to be quite randomly acquired, save for the consecutive $2s. And that great lump of '37 $100s: I have to ask what was behind that. Probably a first nest-egg that he felt attached to.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 08:37:16 pm »

Another suggestion, have them auctioned by a professioal CAND dealer, such as Charles Moore, Jeffrey Hoare Auctions or Michael Walsh. visit cand.org for a list of dealers.

Rick
merciful
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 09:20:24 pm »

Thanks, Rick. Should it come to that, I'll keep those names in mind.

Another suggestion, have them auctioned by a professioal CAND dealer, such as Charles Moore, Jeffrey Hoare Auctions or Michael Walsh. visit cand.org for a list of dealers.

Rick
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 11:18:47 pm »

If you get into Canadian paper money then maybe you can start collecting with all of us!

But if you want to sell them... Always try the members here on the froums. Better then paying all those fees on ebay.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 11:21:20 pm by Mikeysonfire »

Login with username, password and session length