Author
Topic: $1.00 1954 Numerous Possible Errors  (Read 4230 times)
Tyger
« on: November 06, 2006, 02:02:55 am »

Hi and thanks for any light you can shed on the bill I'm inquiring about!

I've tried to do my own research about this bill on this website and many others and I just don't see any matches for what I have.  And I'll apologize in advance, as this is likely to be a long post.

Ok...this bill is a 1954 $1.00 bill with the signatures of Beattie and Rasminsky, in that order.  The bill has no serial numbers and there are no traces of ink where one would expect the numbers to be.  That area is also no more worn than any other area of the bill.  I believe this may be one of the "Devil's Face" bills as there appear to be highlights in the Queen's hair, but there is a crease to the right side of the hair, that obscures easy viewing of a face, at least to my untrained eyes!

There are no rips, tears or pin holes in the bill but it is quite creased and dirty and the edges are ragged, especially at the bottom.
(see pictures at  http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n135/cablecatty/).  Click on the thumbnails to get the best possible view.

The biggest possible error is that there is no back to the bill.  I've seen posts here talking about bills that have been either purposely or inadvertently split but I don't believe this is the case with this bill as it does still retain some stiffness.

I don't know if this is a fake or not.  But I can vouch that it has been in my father's possession for almost 40 years, kept in his wallet, since before my birth.  The story is that a friend was trying to catch the bus from near our home and the bus driver would not accept it.  After returning to our home and trading it to my father for a "normal" bill, she caught the next bus.  He's carried it all these years as a conversation piece.

If anyone would like me to e-mail them better pictures or provide different ones, please let me know.  Also, any information on where I could take it for an evaluation, or any guesses on worth, would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 02:05:53 am by Tyger »
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 12:37:04 pm »

To me. I think your note is a fake. It is very hard to believe that a note with 2 big errors would go though circulation and have a very bad grade before someone keeping it. I think the note is real but the errors are fake.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 12:40:08 pm by Mikeysonfire »
Tyger
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 07:48:37 pm »

Thanks so much for your reply

Fake or not, we'll still find it an interesting conversation piece!  I think my father would get a kick out of finding out it's not real, 40 years after the fact.

Your comment about the grade, though, has me confused.  How do you figure the bill had "a very bad grade before someone kept it"?  I don't know what the grade was when my father got it.  Nor do I know when he got it, just that it was before I was born, which would have to be over 40 years.  The pictures I posted are representative of what the bill looks like now, after being folded up in a wallet for 4 decades and being handled and shown to friends, relatives, grandkids (it's my son who is now the proud owner!) and perfect strangers.

Whatever the outcome, we'll still enjoy it!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 08:05:14 pm by Tyger »

Login with username, password and session length