Author
Topic: International radars  (Read 4283 times)
actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: November 06, 2006, 11:22:33 am »

A friend of mine just came back from a trip to Indonesia.  He brought back some Indonesian currency for my collection.

I noticed one of the bills is a radar.  My question is this: Is the collection of radars really just a North American phenomenon?  If I were to sell this note, would it command a premium because it is a radar?  And if so, would the premium be as large as those placed on BofC radar notes?

I don't plan to sell the note, but if it is valuable, I would feel guilty accepting it as a gift.  My friend knows nothing about paper money and I don't want to take advantage of him!

Cheers,

Brad
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 10:04:49 pm »

Hello Brad,

In regards to your inquiry, international radars are collectable.  However, they are not as popular as BofC radar notes in Canada.  I am quite sure that if your note was for sale in Indonesia, that there will be interest, but within Canada, not as much, if it's a 3, 4, or 5 digit radar.  Possibly more interest if it is a solid serial number or 2 digit radar.  In the end, it all depends on the specific collector.  

I hope this helps.

Michael

Smile from your heart.  ;D
actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 11:52:28 am »

Thanks for the responses.  It is in fact a two-digit radar (JEO 202202).  I did a quick search on ebay and found ladders of the same note (5000 rupiah,)  going for 10 USD.  I would think a two-digit radar would sell for even less.  

I will take your advice, rachelsprivates, and accept this gift in the spirit of generosity.  Also, this is my first radar!

Login with username, password and session length