Author
Topic: Official Bank of Canada Notice, Release of $5 Note  (Read 13995 times)
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 10:44:12 pm »

O so they should have a brick for me tormorrow  8-) o I cant wait

Anyone know the prefix?

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 12:49:35 am »

No tellers at CIBC, RBC, BMO, Scotia, TD Trust had any idea or clue that the new $5's were out today or that they even redesigned the $5 with newer security features? They never received any memos, pamphlets or literature about the new $5 from the BOC?

I don't get it, you'd think they would have received a memo telling them to expect the new $5 or at least a picture of the new bill and it's new features?

I'm sure the BOC was very thorough in its communication with the banks on the new notes.  But remember that the tellers are way far down at the bottom of the pole.  Just imagine all of the supervisors, sub-managers, managers, regional managers you would have to go through to get to the people the BOC would have been talking with.  With all those levels of management I'm not at all surprised that the info hasn't trickled down to the bottom.  I'm sure there are cases and cases of unopened BOC promotional material sitting under middle management's desks in banks all over the country.   :-/

Similarly, letter carriers are often the last people to know that the price of postage has gone up.  :)

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 01:12:06 am »

Actually no one at my TD branch was told of, or given any information concerning the new $5 notes. The only reason anyone at my branch knows, is because I have told them, and repeatedly give them a count down as to how many days are left before they come out everytime I'm at the branch.(which is quite often.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 01:12:22 am by Manada »

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 01:00:04 pm »

And the question "[size=14]what is the prefix on the new $5?" [/size]remains a mystery....

Are any of you who have found the new fives going to let us in on the new prefix?

:-/ OOPS:
AOH and
Just seen Sudzee's post: he's found an AOM
(interesting!)
Does this mean they will go from AOG to AOM (for now)?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 01:06:51 pm by walktothewater »

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 04:32:38 pm »

Nobody has spotted an AOG yet.  I suspect it'll come along soon.

The real question is where are the HP_ notes ???  Where will they start?  HPB?  HPC?  I suspect that HPB and maybe even HPC were printed up as 2002s only to be unreleased and destroyed.  

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Corkum
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2006, 12:30:17 am »

Hey all,

I went through some bricks today and got a radar 8553558 out of it. The prefix on all the notes I looked through were AOK. The branch I went to was HSBC in Toronto. They just got them in yesterday I think.

Hope that answers the prefix question!!
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2006, 01:10:51 am »

And the question "[size=14]what is the prefix on the new $5?" [/size]remains a mystery....

Are any of you who have found the new fives going to let us in on the new prefix?

:-/ OOPS:
AOH and
Just seen Sudzee's post: he's found an AOM
(interesting!)
Does this mean they will go from AOG to AOM (for now)?

Maybe it's the first Insert!!!!!
Or a slight 'excess ink' error making the H's look like M's.  ;)

PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2006, 02:02:31 am »

Well it looks like the first suspected upgraded $5 insert is in the AOK 2.01-2.055 range.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 02:05:08 am by Manada »

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
amarka
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 01:37:22 am »

Well it looks like the first suspected upgraded $5 insert is in the AOK 2.01-2.055 range.

I've not been to this forum for a few months, or longer and now I am very confused regarding the changeover notes and prefixes and highs/lows

If the prefix AOK in the quote above is the first prefix for the upgraded $5 note, then why does this thread that I have shown below state that the first upgraded note was in the AOJ prefix?

Upgraded $5 note is Jenkins-Dodge, Issue of 2006, Printed in 2006 and AOJ0330299 - Miss, ON

I've gone to http://wiki.bwjm.ca/index.php?title=Canadian_Journey_Series_2006_%245_Jenkins/Dodge_Notes but cannot figure out which prefix was the changeover prefix from the old journey $5 note to the upgraded $5 note.  I am assuming at this forum that references to the "upgraded" $5 note, refers to the recently (Nov 15) issued new $5 notes with the security thread.

As an aside, it's been so long since I logged into the forum that my old id and password did not work, so I had to create a new user name and password, was this true for everyone?

Sorry for all the questions.  I really would like to know what prefix the new $5 notes began with.

Thanks a million,
Mark   :)

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 03:04:09 am »

Hello Mark,

The old style $5 Journey notes ended at AOF.  
So far, the first known and confirmed issue of the new series $ Journey notes are AOH.  

I believe as of yet, no one has seen AOG for some reason or another.   Most likely the sequence will be.... AOG (if it exists), AOH, AOI (unlikely as the I can be confused with number 1) AOJ, AOK, AOL, AOM, AON, and so on... (no AOO, and AOX).  

I hope this helps.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 03:05:52 am by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2006, 09:54:17 am »

There were many prefix's released all at the same time to supply the nation wide demand and the first prefix letters may not have gotten out from the back of the vault yet.

A few months ago inactive members were removed to improved the sites space and performance, nice to have you back.

Gary_T
amarka
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2006, 12:21:19 pm »

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the detailed response and information.  That clears up my questions!

Maybe these upgraded $5's with similar ending prefixes as those difficult bird $2's will be just as interesting to follow and collect... is it just a coincidence or do you think the BofC makes it interesting just for us collectors?  ;)    

And thanks Gary for the warm welcome back, it has been a while!

If I can hunt down any of those early prefixes I will post on this site.

All the best,
Mark
 :)
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 08:53:19 pm »

Received a couple bricks of HOVs today. Looks like central distribution is about to unleash the remainder of the HO and HP stock. There may still be a possibility of HPB showing up in the next couple of months.

Gary
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 01:39:23 am »

From what I have heard from my contacts at Intria (BC Distribution Centre)... they pretty much have distributed all of the older Journey Notes and only have the new $5 Journey notes on hand for distribution to banks, etc.   They are soon ready to cull back the older version $5 notes in the spring/summer 2007.

For those who are not familiar with Intria - here's a link:
http://www.intriaitemsinc.com/treasury.htm

Smile from your heart.  ;D

Login with username, password and session length