Author
Topic: Why does the BOC Journeys have crappy paper?  (Read 3602 times)
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: November 23, 2006, 06:59:46 pm »

Why do they print Journey notes on poor quality paper that doesn't seem to stand up for very long? A lot of $5s and 10s look pathetic and they haven't even been in circulation that long looking at some of the prefixes. Wouldn't it be better to print the notes on much higher quality paper so the note would last longer? Just seems to me the BOC is cheaping out on quality. Bring back the paper type that the 1937 series were printed on.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 07:00:08 pm by d_polo »
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 07:39:52 pm »

Let's hope that the BofC will be satisfied with the durability of the newly-released fivers...maybe the other denominations will follow in the near future.  All they would have to do for the $10-$100 notes is switch to the new paper they're using for the $5 and apply the protective "varnish".

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 01:25:36 pm »

I remember when the new $20's came out and asking several non-collectors what they thought of the new note.  I was almost shocked at how many people noticed the razor thin paper.  It was the most common feedback I got.  When the $10's followed I was equally surprised that the paper was so poor.  Its good to see they've improved the $5.

And yet I predict that the poorer paper quality is actually good for collecting these notes because when the same notes wear out so quick the higher grades will be all the more difficult to find.  So far the prefixes have been fairly regularly released with few short, or rare inserts.  But the $10 FEP is hard to find, and there will be others I'm sure.

Time will tell I suppose.

Login with username, password and session length