Author
Topic: Bank of Nova Scotia  1881  (Read 3891 times)
Bernard_Schaaf
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: January 01, 2007, 12:04:01 am »

Gentlemen:
            My ancient catalogue mentions three varieties of 1881 Bank of Nova Scotia  $5 notes and implies that all  three were  issued.  First is a variety with obverse "black with blue tint"  with a "green"  reverse.  The only such blue-tinted note I have seen is a proof,  but this  proof  has a dark BROWN  reverse with a single figure 5 in the center.   (My source  also  mentions also mentions that this note is known with a red Winnipeg overprint twice---anybody  out  there  ever see  one?)
               My source also mentions a $5 with obverse  "orange and green tint" and a "brown" reverse.
Again I have seen only proof notes,  but there seem to be two distinct varieties of these:    one with a curly FIVE right under the central portrait and the other with a longer pink FIVE DOLLARS across the bottom panel.  The former proof  has a dark-brown reverse with the single central figue 5,  whereas  the FIVE DOLLARS proof  has a different  reverse, sort of a slate gray color  (not green), with a figure 5 on either side of a small central vignette.  
                   I  do  not  have access to the latest catalogues of chartered bank currency.  Can someone
out there let me know which color of which reverse goes with which obverse??  Were  all  these  proof  varieties  actually issued into  circulation???
                   Thank you all  for your  help.                        Bernard Schaaf MD aka Newcomer
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 07:06:07 pm »

Hey

To answer your Questions there are now 4 verieties of this $5 dollar note.

1) Black with Blue Tint, FIVE twice at bottom - Green back (only know in proofs)
2) Black with Blue Tint, No FIVE outlined at bottom - Brown Back
3) Black with blue, green and orch tint, FIVE under portrait - brown back
4) Black with green and red tint, No FIVE under portrait - brown back

It does show that 2-3 examples of the actual notes from each veriety do exist with some being in institutional collection. Each proof veriety is known with a price of 850 for UNC. My guess is that since the actual note is so scarce that the proof will sell for much more as there does not seam to be any specimen listed.

KC's Canadian Currency
Bernard_Schaaf
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 10:20:29 pm »

KId kc-79:
                         Thank you for the information.                Bernard :D

Login with username, password and session length