Author
Topic: Journey 2002 $5 Cull  (Read 5610 times)
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« on: January 31, 2007, 05:08:29 pm »

I got confirmation from my bank that they are now instructed by BoC to Cull all the old $5 Notes.

Here is the funny part, another bank the day before gave me a brick of HOU!!!  ;D

What can I say....There is ALWAYS someone who never gets the Memo!  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 02:43:12 am »

There are still alot of 2002s out there and recently I received a nice stack of HOYs. :)

Today along with the normal assortment of 2006s, 2002s and 2005s, I also got a ratty 1989 $10 and 1986 $5.  Seems that as long as the bills are in decent shape they will continue to be handed out.

The teller purposly creased all the new 2006s because they 'stick together' so very few of them ended up being set aside.  :(

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 03:43:32 pm »

Sorry to hear about the notes. I hate it when they do it right in front of you. I always imagine that they have the solid digit or million note!  :'(

Yes, I am surprised that they are culling but it is true. This is from BMO That I was told.

Very Interesting about the Bird Series notes. Someone must have been lazy!  ;)

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 04:48:07 pm »

ragpicker,
What you might want to try doing is - before they get them, ask if they can be really careful with them if they are new -- treat them like a picasso (jokingly).  They might think you are crazy, but chances are that they will happily oblige (because it is part of a funny experience for them).

It can turn into an enjoyable exchange that the teller will not soon forget, which is good for you because you will become more well known if you arnen't well known to them already.

H
PS: Always make sure to say thank you, and really mean it. :)  That goes a long way.

PPS: The cull order must have been an internal one, and possibly under local direction.  Many banks have not recieved official notice. BUT I bet it is coming soon.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
moneycow
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 06:04:40 pm »

What you might want to try doing is - before they get them, ask if they can be really careful with them if they are new -- treat them like a picasso (jokingly).  They might think you are crazy, but chances are that they will happily oblige (because it is part of a funny experience for them).

Hudson, your helpful hints are great.  Keep 'em coming.  :)
There's no Tim Horton's where I live.  What's your second choice as a teller thank you gift?

As far as culling the 5s goes, I received an email last week from a BoC PR person saying that they would not be specifically culled but rather replaced through normal attrition.

moneycow

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 06:46:56 pm »

You seldom see any A-- (eg: AOA or ANV) prefixed or Knight/Dodge signed notes in circulation anymore.  

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 08:00:55 pm »

PPS: The cull order must have been an internal one, and possibly under local direction.  Many banks have not recieved official notice. BUT I bet it is coming soon.

It is VERY Possible. I was stunned when I was told. I said that from our understanding is that they were to play out in circulation.  ::)

There's no Tim Horton's where I live.  What's your second choice as a teller thank you gift?

Yes, I second this as well. If you are lucky enough to deal with the same person all the time (Business Wicket Usually) then make sure to be VERY Polite and give the odd gifts as thank-you's. It will go further for you then you ever thought possible.

Some of us have had Tellers hold 1954 (And even older) Notes that come in just to give to us (Usually from cleaning out a SDB), just because they remember you and the little tidbits of information you tell them about bank notes and some technical stuff. It is a nice break from the usual day for them.  ;)

You will learn to build friendships with the tellers and it will secure your position and they will always go the extra mile for you. Even if things do not go well (IE: A Brick of old notes shows up instead of new) Still thank them for their time, put on a big smile. To them it makes no difference. Notes are Notes...

If possible get to know the Assistant Branch Manager or the Teller Manager. If you are lucky enough to build some rep-or with them it will also benefit you is MANY ways you would not expect.

Very Best Regards,
Cam
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 08:02:15 pm by X-Savior »

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 09:17:16 pm »

X-savior rasies some valid points.

You know what also really goes a long way?
A personalized, hand written card or letter.  That is something they will remember.  Nothing too over the top, but just to let them know they are appreciated. (People do not write letters anymore, so it will be the talk of the branch).

Gifts are good, as long as they are nominal --small, no real influencing value, other than a sign of peace and goodwill really.  But nothing goes farther than a genuine thank you letter.  Shows time and effort.

Good luck with your hunting.
Get to know them, and let them get to know you.
H

I encourage others to share tips.  This will be beneficial to everyone.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 07:44:40 am »

I work for Bank of Montreal...I don't think they care much about culling the old fivers, they're too busy culling EMPLOYEES right now!  1,000 employees will get the chop, but luckily I'm still with them.

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 04:00:07 pm »

Wow!!!

That is really interesting.  :o

I will have to watch my branch...

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 09:35:20 pm »

Wow!!!

That is really interesting.  :o

I will have to watch my branch...
The joint e-mail from Tony Comper & Harold Hillier went out to BMO employees yesterday.  BMO is cutting mostly "non-public facing" roles so tellers and others who deal with the public should be relatively safe...

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 12:23:17 am »

Well, hopefully the people that don't get cut will be so thankful they will order bricks for us Collectors!  ;)  ;D

Login with username, password and session length