Author
Topic: 1935 Royal Bank THICK AND THIN sigs  (Read 3447 times)
rachelsprivates
« on: February 04, 2007, 03:29:23 pm »

I just want to take this opportunity to display an uncatalogued signature variety that affects 1935 Royal Bank notes in all three issued denominations ($5, $10 and $20).  Everyone is familiar with the small and large signatures, but within the more common large signature class, some notes exhibit signatures with much thicker lettering than "normal".  It appears that the thicker signatures were first used after the changeover from small signatures.  Thinner, more elegant large signatures followed and make up the bulk of the 1935 series.  Below is an image of two 1935 $20 Royal notes.  The top one has the thick signatures and the bottom is a regular note with thinner signatures.  Both notes are original in Fine condition and have not been washed or pressed, and thus the argument that the ink from the signatures in the upper note bled out can be dismissed.  In fact, if you look closely at individual letters and compare the notes, you will see distinct differences.  These notes were made from two very different signature dies.  The periods ( . ) in the initials and the dot over Wilson's letter "i" show the largest contrast.

No, these $20 notes are not for sale!

I have seen the same varieties on $5 and $10 notes.  It is up to collectors to decide if these varieties are collectible and worth a premium.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Login with username, password and session length