Author
Topic: Software detection of Currency  (Read 6156 times)
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« on: February 12, 2007, 11:34:35 pm »

There used to be a thread here called "Photoshop and currency" but is seems to have vanished.   :-?

Anyway, Steven J. Murdoch of the UK had done some research into how software built into Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro will auto-detect images of currency and refuse to open them.  He has expanded his original page; have a look here:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~sjm217/projects/currency/

This is why I still use Photoshop Elements 2.0 instead of the latest 4.0!

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 12:13:12 am »

I was able to find an Adobe Photoshop CS Banknote Protection Removal Patch that eliminates this limitation from Photoshop and allows you to scan all currency.   I have used it on my version of Photoshop and it worked exactly as described.  The ZIP file is only 168KB in size and I can email it to anyone who requires it.

I also have read that a similar patch is currently circulating for Photoshop CS2.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 11:00:40 am »

Whoah! before anyone goes installing and using this "patch", be advised that it is not developed, recognized, or endorsed by Adobe.  As I understand it, the patch was developed by hackers.  For all I know, it works as advertised.  But in general, these kinds of hacks can often contain a trojan horse or other malware.  The means by which they are distributed (largely P2P networks) subect the hacks to being hacked themselves.  So even if the "patch" was pristine when developed, the versions available now might not be.  So installing and using these kinds of things is a Very High Security Risk.  Be warned!

The safer way to banknote-enable your imaging software is to just use older versions.  Earlier versions of Photoshop for example can be found quite cheaply and legally on eBay.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 11:00:53 am by grandish »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 03:22:55 pm »

Whoah! before anyone goes installing and using this "patch", be advised that it is not developed, recognized, or endorsed by Adobe.  As I understand it, the patch was developed by hackers.  For all I know, it works as advertised.  But in general, these kinds of hacks can often contain a trojan horse or other malware.  The means by which they are distributed (largely P2P networks) subect the hacks to being hacked themselves.  So even if the "patch" was pristine when developed, the versions available now might not be.  So installing and using these kinds of things is a Very High Security Risk.  Be warned!

The safer way to banknote-enable your imaging software is to just use older versions.  Earlier versions of Photoshop for example can be found quite cheaply and legally on eBay.
Sage advice, Seth. Thank you!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
bwho9d
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 09:12:03 pm »

I can email it to anyone who requires it.

Hey can you give me a copy? My email is neon[dot]zidane[at]gmail[dot]com

(replace the words in the parenthesis with the appropriate symbol)

Yay! Now I can edit bills for entertainment purposes.

Thanks!
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 03:53:37 am »

Just emailed you the Adobe Photoshop CS Banknote Protection Removal Patch.

Let me know if you didn't get it.

...Arthur

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009

Login with username, password and session length