Author
Topic: ghost note (both sides!!)  (Read 3810 times)
AL-Bob
« on: March 20, 2007, 03:56:08 pm »

Hi everyone!!

I was at work this morning where I noticed a nice consecutive pair of $5 HPA's in the cash that I decided to pick off for my collection. Only when I got home, I noticed that one of the two notes has a faint ghostly glow to it.  :o I probably would not even have noticed it if I didn't have it's brother to compare to.

Parts of the back design can be seen "shining through" on the face. I can also make out a faint "Banque du Canada Bank of Canada" accross Laurier's face that is printed in the correct direction and a blueish "drizzle" covers the normally yellow area around the shiny maple leaves.

Looking at the back of the note, the signatures as well as the parliament building and some writing are seen "shining through" from the face.

I don't usually pay very much attention to modern notes so I don't know how unusual it is... Has anyone found any like this before??

:-/

Al
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 04:04:07 pm by AL-Bob »

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
AL-Bob
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 04:02:59 pm »

here we go...

{http://67.55.63.166/100/HPA_face_s.jpg}

{http://67.55.63.166/100/HPA_back_s.jpg}

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 10:52:32 pm »

I don't mean to "take the wind out of your sail" but a ghost note usually refers to a note which lacks the printing ink of the figurehead (in this case Laurier).  That's why its called a ghost...for the white shape that appears where the image of the face should be.  

It appears as if the excess ink across the face on your note came from a wet note above it.  Since there's what appears to be "BANQUE DU CANADA" it may be that a few notes flipped over and laid on it perpendicularly.  Its is odd and a nice find though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 10:53:24 pm by walktothewater »

polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 11:10:01 pm »

The words banque of canada is actually the security  feature in the notes. This should be only seen in a black light.  

I have recently seen a $20 note that with the same error.  The other additions to the note was the note had the number 20 filled in.  Usually there is part of the "20" on the front and the rest of the "20" on the back.  Also  on the back of the note where the people rowing had a faint but noticable image of the rowing people on the front near the big 20.  

Any other opinions

Cheers

Polarbear
AL-Bob
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 04:14:12 pm »

I don't mean to "take the wind out of your sail" but a ghost note usually refers to a note which lacks the printing ink of the figurehead (in this case Laurier).  That's why its called a ghost...for the white shape that appears where the image of the face should be.  

It appears as if the excess ink across the face on your note came from a wet note above it.  Since there's what appears to be "BANQUE DU CANADA" it may be that a few notes flipped over and laid on it perpendicularly.  Its is odd and a nice find though.

My apologies for misusing the "ghost" term. I merely meant that the note had a ghostly appearance due to what appears to be a face tint offset, back tint offset, & the visibility of the UV security features. (Not sure if "offset" is necessarily the right term either)...

It sounds like it's the same error as the note that Polarbear describes. Any ideas how this error would occur and why the three seemingly unrelated processes would take place together?

Thanks for the replies so far  :)

AL-Bob
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 04:16:35 pm by AL-Bob »

Login with username, password and session length