Author
Topic: Converting Coins into Paper Money -- The "COINSTAR" Machine  (Read 7967 times)
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector

Today I tested one of those green "COINSTAR" machines that are set up at the larger Loblaws stores. You merely dump your load of mixed coins into the basket and wait for the machine to sort them and count them. You end up with a detailed receipt which you then convert into PAPER CURRENCY at the checkout.

I converted over 1200 One Cent coins (pennies) and several hundred 5 Cents and 10 Cents coins. It was very satisfying to unload all of that metal "sludge" although you pay a fee of just under 10% for the service --- but well worth it in my opinion. Any coins that are not accepted by the machine are returned to you.

Here are a few of my most important observations:

1. American One Cent coins are gobbled up without any problem (except for those steel ones issued during WW2). I didn't try any US nickels or dimes but I presume they would be accepted too.

2. The machine does NOT accept those chromium-plated-steel 5 Cents coins that were issued during WW2 (Victory design) and between 1951 and 1954 inclusive. I didn't try any of those brass-coloured WW2 "Tombac" nickels. However, earlier (pre-1937) King George V nickels ARE accepted.

3. Holed, severely damaged and foreign coins seem not to be accepted (which makes sense).

4. Some of the recent-date lightweight nickels and dimes seem not to be accepted.

I didn't try any 25 Cents or higher denomination coins as those are easy to roll up and deposit at the bank without any service charge.

The COINSTAR machine is obviously very sophisticated and has various sensors to detect metal content, coin diameter and coin weight.

By the way, the NICKEL BULLION content of a 100% Nickel Canadian 5 Cents coin is now about 20 Cents! (thanks to the huge demand therefor from China).

I hope the above helps.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 12:49:46 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 03:12:25 pm »

In the US, Commerce Bank has a free penny counter that does all this without a service charge. Plus it is open 7 days a week. So much for bankers hours.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 05:20:48 pm »

Yea mon, I see dose machines here too. I pay my Punky boy to count my extra coins for me.
You know it makes me wonder if some people will be dumb enough to order lotsa nickels from da bank and try to sell dem to dose recycling people for a big profit? 20 cents for a nickel, Hmmm. And, da pennies more than face value for sure.

Dei Gratia,
PD
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 03:11:15 pm by Punkys Dad »

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon

Login with username, password and session length