Author
Topic: unc60 bills  (Read 8467 times)
starman
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: July 22, 2007, 06:41:41 pm »

to the untrained eye, like mine. I was wondering how much difference there was between an unc60 and an unc63 when looking at a bill.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 10:28:44 pm »

I agree... When it comes to grading the 20th Edition is one of the most important guides.

They have done a wonderful job of describing the different grades. Over time and practice you will get fairly good at grading notes.

As for the difference between UNC60 and 63, there is quite a big difference between them but very fine difference between UNC 63 and UNC 65.

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
starman
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 01:46:35 am »

thanks for all your help guys, but it's not available here on Van Island yet
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 07:52:40 am »

The new Charlton grading scale operates in terms of so-called "Demerit Points" for the Unc grades. I like this new concept of demerit points because it is quantitative and largely unambiguous. Also, a note must be fully original (i.e., not pressed or processed) to earn an Unc rating. If it's been pressed then the highest possible grade will be an AU. Trimming is not explicitly mentioned in the context of grading Unc notes but perhaps it is implicitly included in the definition of a "processed" note?

By definition, a demerit point can be any one of several types of minor imperfection, e.g., a light counting crease (without broken fibres), an edge bump (stubbed corner), paper toning (light browning), a soft corner, etc.

A GEM UNC (GCU65) note is not allowed to have any demerit points and will have near-perfect centering. A CHOICE UNC (CHCU63) note will have no more than one demerit point but can be slightly off-centre. A "regular" UNC (CU60) note will have no more than three demerit points.

It's possible that the new grading scale will undergo a few minor "adjustments" in the future as people start applying the new grades and ironing out ;) any possible ambiguities or inconsistencies that may arise.

The new Charlton grading scale is a major numismatic milestone and triumph in my opinion. I believe that the quantitative concept of "demerit points" is entirely new and original on the numismatic scene and that it should be applauded.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:15:31 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 09:39:04 pm »

if an UNC note has any flaws it is an AU as in almost UNC period if it is not I will sell lots of notes listed as an UNC with a flaw
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 09:43:12 pm »

And what determines a 61,62 ,and 64 they are not in the catalaog becuase if there is a 60,63 and 65 so now we have 5 different grades of UNC not just 3 it gets ridiculous an UNC is an UNc
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 11:51:00 pm »

I tried this when I wasn't sure in grading some years ago;

Join a local club and have members help grade your notes, especially high grades. Label them and use them as reference notes.

For 63 or 65 I'd buy a note from someone reputable. For example, I'd buy a 1973 ECW GemUnc and a ChoiceUnc ECY from Don Olmstead, but I use it as a comparison to judge all 1969 to 1975 series Unc notes.

Or just get together with some nearby members and have a Grading exercise session over coffee.

One thing for sure, is to Practice Grading. Shows are the best place to do that.

:)
Dei Gratia,
PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 01:40:13 pm »

And what determines a 61,62 ,and 64 they are not in the catalaog becuase if there is a 60,63 and 65 so now we have 5 different grades of UNC not just 3 it gets ridiculous an UNC is an UNc

Unc 61 62 and 64 are not meant to be used, otherwise they would be in the book.

60, 63, and 65 establish 3, and the parameters are very important.
Notes such as the Multicolours or even birds may not have had the neccessity to distiguish, but the Journey Series is another story.

There are varying degrees of UNC in that series.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 03:46:39 pm »

I don't understand.  Why put numbers in the three UNC grades?  What is the meaning of 60, 63 and 65?  And if 61,62, and 64 were not meant to be used, why didn't Charlton pick consecutive numbers (98,99,100 or 60,61,62) instead?

Brad

Unc 61 62 and 64 are not meant to be used, otherwise they would be in the book.

60, 63, and 65 establish 3, and the parameters are very important.
Notes such as the Multicolours or even birds may not have had the neccessity to distiguish, but the Journey Series is another story.

There are varying degrees of UNC in that series.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 04:00:09 pm »

Well,

UNC60,63 and 65 came from coin grading.

MS-60, MS-63 and MS-65 are different grades of Uncirculated Coins. But they actually DO cover the in-between grades where in paper money there is not the need for such fine tooth grading (And be thankful for it).  ;)

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!

Login with username, password and session length