Author
Topic: Security strips used on bogus bills  (Read 4310 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« on: August 09, 2007, 06:54:07 pm »

Security strips used on bogus bills

Police find counterfeiters using holographic stripes from real banknotes

CanWest News Service
Published: Thursday, August 09, 2007

CALGARY - Some counterfeiters are adopting a technique called peel- and-paste to overcome high-tech holographic security features on Canadian currency, police say.

They are stripping the holographic stripes from genuine Canadian $5, $10 and $20 notes and gluing them onto phoney $20, $50 and $100 notes, according to the RCMP.

Most of the bogus notes are appearing in Alberta, but phoney notes have also shown their counterfeit faces in British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec.

The criminals have even tried to return the real notes from which they have removed the stripes to banks, to demand replacement bills.

"Someone's always going to try something and it was a matter of time," said Sgt. Kerry Petryshyn, the RCMP's Ottawa-based national counterfeit coordinator.

RCMP issued an alert in July after noticing a spike in use of the "altered counterfeit" technique, a relatively uncommon one.

Police know of about 450 altered notes distributed across Canada since 2005.

Of the 67 altered notes discovered this year, 45 came in July, and 85 per cent of those were passed in Edmonton and Calgary.

Police have made no arrests so far but they believe the notes came from a single source, either one person or an organized crime group.

The phoney currency is poor-quality, run off an ink-jet printer on cheap paper. The colours look off and they'll run at the first drop of water.

Petryshyn said criminals are exploiting people's tendency to rely too much on one security feature, the holographic stripe.

"What's unique about it is it's costly and time-consuming," he said.

"For a $50 counterfeit, they're sacrificing a $5 note, plus whatever other expenses they have for inks and printing."

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

Smile from your heart.  ;D
bwho9d
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 06:59:12 pm »

:o :o :o

It makes it more worse that most cash handlers only check for the holographic stripe.
I've only seen 2 in my whole life that actually bothered to hold it up to a light.

It'd be easier to cut the OSD off Birds and paste them onto phonies like this: http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=4741.0

Can't they just cut the security stripe off, slightly burn the edges and redeem them as multilated?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:06:18 pm by Neon Zidane »
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 09:18:12 pm »

Counterfeiters stripping holographic stripe from bills

Yes I heard/read about it. A slightly differnt slant on the same story in our local tabloids,

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=27dd86ff-69a3-455a-b0a9-874232d724bf

These guys must be idiots, I can't see how it would be remotely worth the effort alone.

Dei gratia
PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon

Login with username, password and session length