Author
Topic: Tool marks?  (Read 7653 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 09:39:23 am »

Did those who find this usually find or observe this mark on the bottom notes from xxxx990 to xxxx999 region?

You are definitely correct.  After having gone through a number of my records I see that the notes in 999 spot do contain such a mark and as you get to the 4th or 5th note down the mark disappears.

So now, how is this described when grading the note?  ???

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 06:44:44 pm »

Maybe UNC with "mechanical damage by the printer"? ;) ;)

Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 01:54:11 am »

I found some of these marks on other notes through out an intact virgin brick. Another possibiliy judging from the position it could be a mechanical handling problem when the watermark was registered on the paper prior to printing.

PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 05:36:55 pm »

If it was a defect linked to the watermark making, each note would have this mark, not only the fews last notes of each bundle (which are on the top of each bundle), so I still think that the mark is made by the wrapping/banding machine.  But it's possible that the mark is made when the ream is cut in strips and bundles.

Speaking about cutting notes, I observed that on every bundle, the infamous "cutting cup" on the security strip is most noticeable on the top  notes  (for a face-up bundle) and becomes weaker as you go down the bundle.  The cutting mark is absent on the last 20-30 notes (where the three last digits are *****30-00).  Have someone who had noticed this phenomenon? 

Because of this, I tend to believe that the reams a now cut by stacks of 100 sheets, instead of a full 1000 notes ream at once, maybe because the cut is easier and cleaner through 100 notes instead 1000.  Any comments?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 05:38:31 pm by copperpete »

Login with username, password and session length