Author
Topic: Has anyone done a TPG on a Journey Replacement Note???  (Read 7032 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: August 30, 2007, 10:07:13 pm »

I was wondering if anyone has had a Journey Replacement note sent to a TPG?
If so, I would be interested to see a pic.
Would they go by the most recent catalogue ranges or do they use other sources?

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 10:49:26 pm »

would it really be worth the cost to have this done on a Journey series note that is not in the upper echelons of rarity?

I agree totally that the average Journey note would not be worth getting graded by a TPG, however the question was merely to see if anyone had one done and out of curiosity how would it be described and labelled.  Would they classify it as a replacement note or not? (If it was in a confirmed range in the catalogue?)

sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 07:59:26 am »

I had a few graded but PMG does not understand the concept so the cat. number is not correct. I will discuss the subject with them later this month.

My reason for having some of these notes graded is that some collectors want all of their notes in TPG holders so there would be no questions on grading when their collection is finally sold.

Gary
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 08:02:19 am by sudzee »
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 08:58:53 am »

Thanks for the information and the post.  I knew someone had to have atleast one Journey note graded by a TPG. I guess this answers my question too.
It is exactly what I was wondering about; how accurate their descriptions are when it comes to replacement notes and whether or not the actual term "replacement" would be used in the description of the note.  Hopefully they start to address this problem which would make things a little more consistent.

FRIEDSQUID

standeasy
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 05:20:08 pm »

What is a TPG?
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 05:38:03 pm »

What is a TPG?

TPG is Third Party Grading

« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 06:00:45 pm by Gary_T »

Gary_T
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 05:38:09 pm »

What is a TPG?

Third Party Grader

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 08:59:20 pm »

whether or not the actual term "replacement" would be used in the description of the note. 

Hi everyone. 
The Bank of Canada refers to them as replacements.
Their function is replacement.  This goes beyond the ones that were actually confirmed by them, but into the other areas as well.  On my website, and the commencement of BlackBox I and II, the direct quote is there.

Saying "insert" now is simply a bad habit, since we now know more about them, and have the words directly from Bank of Canada.  I see this bad habit being corrected by more and more people (thank God).

The Catalogue referes to them as insert replacements or sinply "inserts", as though to identify that they are not X notes or asterisk notes.  The catalogue should now be uniform with the word "replacement" standalone, since we now know, right from the Bank of Canada, that they are in fact replacements.

Hudson 

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 09:58:41 pm »

The Catalogue referes to them as insert replacements or sinply "inserts", as though to identify that they are not X notes or asterisk notes.  The catalogue should now be uniform with the word "replacement" standalone, since we now know, right from the Bank of Canada, that they are in fact replacements.

I referred to them as inserts simply because that's how the catalogue identified them.  I think it will take a bit of time before we're used to the new terminology (ie replacement) of a note that has no identifyable means to differentiate it from regular notes.

I had a few graded but PMG does not understand the concept so the cat. number is not correct. I will discuss the subject with them later this month.

My reason for having some of these notes graded is that some collectors want all of their notes in TPG holders so there would be no questions on grading when their collection is finally sold.

This is a very reliable source of info and I would take this quote (description of the present scenario) as very accurate. Thanks Sudz.. I mean Gary.

Login with username, password and session length