Author
Topic: What kind of scanner are you using for scanning your bank notes?  (Read 14872 times)
docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 11:49:48 pm »

I still use an old HP #4070 scanner,never had a problem with any banknotes
Tom-Bear
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 02:43:17 pm »

I had just gotten a newer Lexmark 3-in-1 fax/copy/scan machine. I soon discovered that it would not scan banknotes. Fortunately, I had not disposed of my trusty old Canon LIDE scanner yet. I guess I now have to keep an otherwise useless single-purpose machine, that I had hoped to get rid of.

Does this problem exist with ALL new scanners? Does anyone know of any new machines presently on the market that will scan banknotes? How will we be able to scan our banknotes when these older machines inevitably die?

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 03:42:02 pm »

On a related note, Photoshop CS3 allowed me to open banknote images (just not print them), but after upgrading to CS5, I can't even open images that Photoshop deems to be banknotes.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Kingston
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 05:36:05 pm »

All new scanners have built in software to stop scanning of most world banknotes.  Also as JBWM said Photoshop CS5 and CS4 will not open a banknote (older ones yes). Photoshop CS2 apparently will. A friend of mine has it and will give me a copy. THEY are making it hard for us.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 11:18:47 pm »

My HP PSC1610 has always worked fine (once I took some time out to actually get drivers updated and compatible with my Imac).  The older equipment is the go-to equipment for scanning notes (if you can't photograph them).   I agree with some of the earlier posts that photographs are superior if you can afford the time (and then use an older version of Adobe Photoshop).

Photoshop CS5 and CS4 will not open a banknote

Sad but true- plus the new stuff - it's like you need a PhD to use it - its getting so complicated...

Stick to the older equipment and software as it will not impede your progress in getting decent scans (or photos) of your notes.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 08:02:45 pm »

I know I'm digging up an old thread, but it's an ever-more relevant issue.

My Lexmark X1110 printer/scanner died recently (the scanner is no longer working), so I am trying to find something that will work again for me.

I bought a Canon LIDE 110 scanner but it's failing to scan Journey notes.  It's a real pity because the scanner itself is nice and compact.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
coinboy
  • CPMS # 1351
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 10:02:27 pm »

I use a HP3050 all in one wireless bought at Costco for under $50 works great.....they have a bigger/better one on sale now for around $70. 

Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 10:53:37 pm »

Yeah, most HP printers work well for that.... possibly because they make one machine worldwide per model rather than ones for different countries.

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium that works great....

You could try the Hp 6700 on at Staples for $80, or the HP 5514 on at Best Buy for $40 , both should work well for you.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-photosmart-wireless-all-in-one-inkjet-printer-ps5514-ps-5514/10175999.aspx?path=069eaad004feba878ad70f05a89e3887en02

Fenian

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
Bruxi
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 01:25:59 am »

I have a Canon Pixma, which is great, but won't seem to scan any note released after 1995.

Login with username, password and session length